Feet sizes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loobylou

Feet sizes

Post by loobylou »

I appreciate every child is different but, those of you with older children, what age did their feet stop growing and how did/does that relate to their height growth?
doodles

Re: Feet sizes

Post by doodles »

I have a 16yo DS who comes in at just over 6ft with size 14 feet - I certainly hope his have stopped growing!!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD is almost 13, 5'4" last time I measured her (I'm still in denial that she is taller than me) and has 5.5 size feet. Feet seem to have stopped growing, I think they have been 5/5.5 for quite some time, at least a year maybe closer to two. However she is still growing, so she might make size 6 eventually.

Not sure there's a direct correlation between height and foot size though, as I'm 5'3" and have 6.5 feet. My sister has size 4 feet and is about an inch shorter.
DH is 6'2" and has size 11 feet, but a friend of ours is about the same height but has size 8 feet.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Tinkers wrote:
Not sure there's a direct correlation between height and foot size though, as I'm 5'3" and have 6.5 feet. My sister has size 4 feet and is about an inch shorter.
DH is 6'2" and has size 11 feet, but a friend of ours is about the same height but has size 8 feet.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant how long before they stopped growing (height wise) did their feet stop growing? (I understand that feet normally stop growing before height).
I have a 10 year old ds who is probably destined to be around 6' 2" who is only currently around 5' 2" and probably has another 5 years of height growth to go. But he has size 8 feet and I was hoping to hear that they were likely to stop growing in another year or two!!
KB

Post by KB »

By the age of 10 my boys had shoe size to match their years. They stopped at around 12/13 but carried on growing upwards for at least 3 years more. Mind you by secondary school their shoes were worn out long before they were outgrown.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I really don't think it can be pinned down, size 8 at aged ten is normal in this household, with one a size 9, my 14 year 9 month old just shifted into size 12 so still growing both in height and foot size, but he hasn't gone through puberty yet, maybe that makes a difference, in fact I'm sure it must. His dad is 6'4" but takes size 10!
I think with more children being unhealthily over tall and large with the shift to protein based diets a size 12 will hit the mainstream shop rackss soon, husband can get far more clothes now than when he was in his twenties, although they seem to think people get fatter as they get taller???
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Son age 15, 6 foot 2, feet size 13. I'm really hoping all growing has stopped. I can't keep pace with outgrown clothes.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think you are right SB3 about shoe sizes. DH always struggled in the past to get size 11 shoes, basically going in and asking 'what have you got in size 11?' And accepting whatever was available.

More recently, he can now go in and pick the shoes he actually likes and they usually have it in size 11.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The same is true in Ladies. My Mum is an 8 and it was difficult for her growing up to get shoes. When I hit a 9 we used to have to travel all the way to a shop Hampstead from Essex to get school shoes for me - and they were really expensive.
Now I can get shoes in Clarks or Next with a reasonable choice. A good job since DD jumped from a 5.5 to a 7 last year and probably hasn't stopped yet.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We've found upto size 12 easy to find in the high street, size 13 was a little more challenging but size 14 is a nightmare. Very very little available in store so we have to go online which isn't much fun for a slightly fashion conscious teen - heaven knows what it would be like if he was really into how he looked.