Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

luvingdad

Travelling to orpington (Saint Olave) from Dartford

Post by luvingdad »

hi,
My son has been offered a place in Saint olave
And we are planning to shift in areas where property prices
Affordable and there are good transport links to Orington

I am not local and have very limite information regarding cheap and safe residential areas. I did a bit of reseach about property buy prices in
Areas like orpington/bromley/petswood/Dartford and i understand
That property prices in Dartford (DA8 postcode) are lowest

However , i do not know whats the best way
To travel to Saint olave from Dartford and wud it be
Too long a joyrney for daily commute ?

It wud be a great help if you can provide any information/ suggetion on Dartford areas, where properties are affordable to buy and its is practially
Possible to travel to Saint olave

Many thkx in advance.
Nikki00

Re: Travelling to orpington (Saint Olave) from Dartford

Post by Nikki00 »

Hi. I live in Orpington, between st olaves and newstead woods. Many girls and boys travel to these schools from other areas especially by train or bus for shorter distances. If you are looking to move to dartford/bexley boroughs he will have to use 1 or more buses. I'm sure there are parents of boys or newstead girls on this forum who travel on public transport who can give you better info than me.

You haven't mentioned where you live now or what size of property you need and your budget. 3 bed semi houses here are around £475,000+. Poverest/Sevenoaks way are cheaper but dare I say not as nice. St. Paul's and st Mary's cray cheaper still but I wouldn't live there.

Pettswood, bickley and bromley are on the trainline. Pettswood prices are similar to orpington although some parts are more expensive and bromley/bickley are dearer still.

Dartford is the cheapest area but your son will have to use the bus. Da8 is erith and I would avoid, it's a high social housing /high crime area and will take ages to get to school !

Hope this helps a bit.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sidcup? Less of a schlep on the bus than Erith. Your DS may find that the kudos of gaining a place at St Olave's wears off a bit after a few months / weeks / days of two or three hours on a bus every day on top of his school day and homework. Also, the further away you live from the school, the more difficult it is for you to be involved with the school (concerts, plays, PTA?) or even just to get to parents' evenings, drop off forgotten kit or to retrieve DS from school if he is taken ill etc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

Thanks for your response Nikki.

My first preference was Orpington/Pets Wood/Bromley but as you mentioned , decent 3 bed semi detached house
would cost 475 K +. I am looking to get a 3 bed semidetached house in maximum of 425-440 K of price.

Is there any areas which got good transport links/ near by to Saint Olave which i can explore more ?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Amit
Last edited by luvingdad on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

Hi ToadMum,
I agree with your point of view. If it would have to be 2 -3 hours journey every daya, i would
not prefer Dartford to stay.

My first preference is Orpington/Pets Wood/Bromley but as Nikki mentioned , decent 3 bedsemi detached house
would cost 475 K. I am loooking to get a 3 bed semidetached house in maximum of 425-440 K of price.

I would check about Sidcup further.

Thanks.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Crofton is a good compromise, it is located between Petts Wood and Orpington. The area is nice but it is cheaper for two main reasons, it is a 15 to 20 min walk to either Petts Wood or Orp and the properties are 1960s style which are spacious but not to all taste. You can get a 4 bed town house well within your budget. For example: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 01683.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nikki00

Post by Nikki00 »

Hi again £425k + will get you a 3 bed semi in the Br5 part of Orpington. Some nice bits some not so nice. (There is always a reason for something being cheap !) St olaves is about 15mins walk from the station and 10 mins from the tesco end of the high street. Orpington trains go into charing cross, cannon street and victoria in about 20mins just in case you need to commute to work. Do you need to think about primary schools as well?

I would have thought you could comfortably get something within a short bus ride to school. Check out rightmove as suggested.
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

Many thanks PettwoodFiona fopr letting me know about Crofton Lane and sharinf the rightmove link.
SydenhamDad

Post by SydenhamDad »

Hi,

Have you considered Penge at all? Penge East is on the line from Victoria and it is cheaper than most areas depending on which side of the tracks you look. It's quite "up and coming" due to the Overground arriving a couple of years ago and has great links to London Bridge too. It's about 20 minutes on a direct train to Orpington and then just the walk from the station.

Best wishes and good luck in your search.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Goddington Lane or Park Avenue (5 mins walk to school). :D