SHSG uniform query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salaam

SHSG uniform query

Post by salaam »

Hi, just a quick question - are there only two suppliers for the school ? I am looking at the prices and it's going to cost a fortune! Just wondering if anyone knows of any other online supplier not already recommended by the school? Can the v neck jumper be purchased from M&S?

Also, regarding shoes, are school kicker type shoe/low ankle types allowed?

Any positive help/comments appreciated, thanks!
ToadMum

Re: SHSG uniform query

Post by ToadMum »

salaam wrote:Hi, just a quick question - are there only two suppliers for the school ? I am looking at the prices and it's going to cost a fortune! Just wondering if anyone knows of any other online supplier not already recommended by the school? Can the v neck jumper be purchased from M&S?

Also, regarding shoes, are school kicker type shoe/low ankle types allowed?

Any positive help/comments appreciated, thanks!
Starting with shoes, yes,the 'lo' ones in plain black leather with black stitching are fine, but not the ankle boot type.

Did you not come to the new year 7 parents evening last Wednesday? There is a good supply of second hand uniform and my fellow PA committee member Mrs Payment was doing good business. Her contact details should be on the website.

The two main suppliers are Danielle's in Rochford and Fosters which mainly supply online but also come into the school on the first Tuesday of the month at lunchtime. Personally I buy new stuff from Danielle's ,but also second hand blouses and kilts. Danielle's used to give a 10% discount to new year 7 parents but not sure now - DD started most of the way through year 7 two years ago but we still had the discount info in our welcome pack.

The uniform regs do say jumper to come from the school suppliers - may well be some in the second hand stock - other makes probably not quite the same green. Once into year 9 and the black jumpers some do wear non-regulation ones but tbh the 'nicer' regulation ones are very nice so we do buy those.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salaam

Post by salaam »

Thank you toadmum for your informative reply. Much appreciated. I did attend the open evening but didn't pay much attention to the second hand uniform. It's only today I started looking at the prices of new things that I have realised it will be very expensive.

I may have to stock up on few second hand bits like you do. I will try and contact the PTA to find out when I can next take a look. Also, its hard to know what to buy when my daughter is not with me.

Thanks again, I'm sure your post has helped plenty of other new SHSG mums and dads x
Manana

Post by Manana »

I bought most of the bits from Danielle's. As Toadmum says-there was a 10% 'earlybird' discount which was brilliant-I'm not sure when that expires though.

I got one blazer, one skirt, two-pack of blouses, science apron, art apron, PE skort, PE polo shirt, PE sweatshirt and hockey socks. I didn't order the school jumper-DS is at SHSB and has never worn the jumper (or science overall OR art apron come to think of it!), so I'll hold fire with that!

I then bought another skirt and two more blouses at the Y7 meeting from the second hand stuff-such a bargain!

I haven't ordered the tracksuit yet though; I don't think we can do that until July. Am still wondering why they need a PE sweatshirt and a tracksuit!? It's also a pain to order online-whilst guessing the size-and then it has to have the name sewn on. There's not much you can do if it's too small then!?

I won't get shoes or trainers until August. Do they need hockey boots??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Manana wrote:I bought most of the bits from Danielle's. As Toadmum says-there was a 10% 'earlybird' discount which was brilliant-I'm not sure when that expires though.

I got one blazer, one skirt, two-pack of blouses, science apron, art apron, PE skort, PE polo shirt, PE sweatshirt and hockey socks. I didn't order the school jumper-DS is at SHSB and has never worn the jumper (or science overall OR art apron come to think of it!), so I'll hold fire with that!

I then bought another skirt and two more blouses at the Y7 meeting from the second hand stuff-such a bargain!

I haven't ordered the tracksuit yet though; I don't think we can do that until July. Am still wondering why they need a PE sweatshirt and a tracksuit!? It's also a pain to order online-whilst guessing the size-and then it has to have the name sewn on. There's not much you can do if it's too small then!?

Quick reply.
Hockey boots, no - indoor and outdoor trainers.
Track suit is worn for activities other than just sport - some special Fridays (year 7, can't think what they call them!) curriculum days etc. Buy bigger and roll top of bottoms over. For outdoor games sweatshirt usually worn (or not!) - DD doesn't take her track suit in on a regular basis. Your DD will need one, though.

You can buy second hand TS - we did and bought charity shop shorts in same colour, similar material. Danielle's embroidered the name on the shorts, I then cut out the patches and had them sewn on over the original name on the track suit top and bottoms.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manana

Post by Manana »

salaam wrote:Thank you toadmum for your informative reply. Much appreciated. I did attend the open evening but didn't pay much attention to the second hand uniform. It's only today I started looking at the prices of new things that I have realised it will be very expensive.

I may have to stock up on few second hand bits like you do. I will try and contact the PTA to find out when I can next take a look. Also, its hard to know what to buy when my daughter is not with me.

Thanks again, I'm sure your post has helped plenty of other new SHSG mums and dads x
I'm sure the welcome pack said that the second hand uniform people would be at the school next Friday after school when the girls go for transition day-so your daughter would be there with you.
Manana

Post by Manana »

ToadMum wrote:
Manana wrote:I bought most of the bits from Danielle's. As Toadmum says-there was a 10% 'earlybird' discount which was brilliant-I'm not sure when that expires though.

Quick reply.
Hockey boots, no - indoor and outdoor trainers.
Track suit is worn for activities other than just sport - some special Fridays (year 7, can't think what they call them!) curriculum days etc. Buy bigger and roll top of bottoms over. For outdoor games sweatshirt usually worn (or not!) - DD doesn't take her track suit in on a regular basis. Your DD will need one, though.

You can buy second hand TS - we did and bought charity shop shorts in same colour, similar material. Danielle's embroidered the name on the shorts, I then cut out the patches and had them sewn on over the original name on the track suit top and bottoms.
Flexible Fridays-my DD is very excited about those!!

Thanks for your reply (and all other replies you've given my over the last few months on here!)

Did you talk at the welcome meeting the other week?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Haha - no, that wasn't me! I was in a green 'PA Team' polo shirt doing the refreshments. 8)

ETA - Yes, there will be a uniform sale on July 3rd and also, you can ask, but think Danielle's may only do you 'name labels' if you are already a customer and have your DD's name in their computerised embroidery system.
ocobrown

Post by ocobrown »

Ok so this is may be an inane question...SHSG Tracksuit, is it to be embroidered with first and surname or first name only? The only reason I ask is that the pictures on the supplier site show " name" in really big font. And the cannot cope with the apostrophe in our surname.. So I suddenly thought hey perhaps I have it wrong giving both names!

Other kit has both names and I am sure the same applies for track suits but that seed of doubt is sewn!

Can someone please confirm!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It's the first name and surname, however you want them to appear, e.g. If your DD' s given name is Katherine but she is always known just as Kate, I don't think the school minds this (DD's second hand one used to be called Katie IIRC).

I would ring the company if you are having problems with the format of your name.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now