How does Wallington Mock compare to Sutton mock?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsdarling2

How does Wallington Mock compare to Sutton mock?

Post by mumsdarling2 »

DC recently took the Wallington Mock. Being our first and only mock so far, we have no baseline. Nothing to compare it with. Given that Sutton mocks seem so popular, are in the same region and have been going on for a few years now, could anyone please share your comparison of Wallington mock to Sutton mock? Thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: How does Wallington Mock compare to Sutton mock?

Post by Daogroupie »

Your baseline is seeing how your student ranked with the other 651 who took it. I know of lots of students who took both. The general feeling seemed to be that they found the maths harder at Wallington but English about the same. Your results should have told you something about where to focus. DF
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

DC did reasonably well in Wallington mock but very bad in the Sutton mock Test B. Really disappointed. Cannot understand how and why it went so wrong :(

Is it a reflection of their difference in difficulty? Has anyone had similar results?
Starlight14

Post by Starlight14 »

My DS found the Wallington mock tougher than the Sutton mock and his results reflected this but i do wonder if the first time was due to nerves too.
Just try and work on areas your DC aren't confident in, that is our plan!
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Yes we'll have to dig deeper into the problem areas. How I wish we could see their papers and could pin point to the types of questions they struggled with. It's one thing to do tests at home and quite another to do it in a formal setting.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

DaoGroupie wrote[quote][/quote]

Your baseline is seeing how your student ranked with the other 651 who took it. I know of lots of students who took both. The general feeling seemed to be that they found the maths harder at Wallington but English about the same. Your results should have told you something about where to focus. DF

but the result only shows scores and not the questions asked in the exam . so how do we know where to focus.

- am only talking about Sutton Mocks in my case

or is there something am missing
please

Thanks
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Mittleme, Sutton has some commentary about the exams and the percentage that is likely to demonstrate selective ability in each area: http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... ests.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did your child score higher at English? Or higher at Maths? If your child was weaker in one paper, can they remember general topics they found difficult? Or did they leave the room during the exam, or finish early? Exam technique is important.

If not, how are they doing in other test papers for the weaker subject at home? When you mark papers, do you go through the questions they got wrong one by one so they would understand them the next time? If there are still shaky areas, that's where you need to focus. Timing is important, but a fast pace isn't enough on its own.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Stroller - hmmnn thank you so much for your advice here. :D :D
mags18

Post by mags18 »

It's bit of a challenge to identify and pint point weak areas(comprehension/grammar etc) due to lack of actual paper . Ok, so in English there is 0 and 1s but how to make sense of it . You have no idea in what order questions were there in the actual paper and would be lucky if your child can accurately decipher that for you :?

Would have been much useful if there were broad headline . Eg Q1-15 Comprehension/16-20 Vocab etc .But then it would take away the secrecy of the paper which all these Mock test provider tend to keep.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Have you read the information that has been provided? It quite clearly says there was a long Comprehension passage with questions towards the end so you can check up using the question marks how your student did in that section.

I did have more detail about the actual order of questions. I will see if I can dig it up.

In my experience it is very easy to trick ten year olds (who do not read information carefully enough) in both English and Maths.

The goal of most exam papers is to be challenging but to offer an opportunity for students who read carefully to win the day.

If you got a lower than expected mark on the English paper I would focus on hard comprehensions. Sutton call their comprehension "long" None of the students I know of commented on the length and that would be simply because they are used to working with longer passages.

I now also have a Wallington ranked pdf redone after they added the missing candidates. Available by pm. DG