Which English Books to use at home

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Which English Books to use at home

Post by Optimist »

Hi there

Looking at supplementary English work in the Junior School years, in preparation for 11+ English exams at Grammar School (Reading). I would like to ask if anyone has any opinion on the two series of books listed below, for supplementary work at home.

I have acquired two series of books to use on children

1. Hadyn Richards Junior English Books 1 to 4.
These are good, prescriptive but not stretching - and they come with answers. They cover basic: grammar, vocabulary; punctuation; and comprehension. They will only take pupils up to Level 4.

2. One Hundred Exercises in English Usage Books 1 to 4.
These are dated books (about 20 years old) aimed at very good Preparatory and State Primary Schools - and they do not come with answers. They are produced by the publishers of the "New First Aid in English"; in fact the students using Books 1 to 4 would need to refer to the NFA to ensure that their answers are correct. The books cover English at a more demanding level than the Hadyn Richards Books. However, can anyone advise if these books are too "dated" for 11+

It seems that since the NFA is cited a as a good book to use, that it may be obvious to utilise "One Hundred Exercises in English Usage Books 1 to 4". Does anyone agree?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've used Haydn Richards at school occasionally to supplement the literacy hour objectives.

Both are a bit dry, not particularly challenging and Haydn Richards uses terms like " Doing words" instead of verb

I am not an expert on Berkshire 11+, what would be covered in the paper?

My instinct would be to look at some of the books published on " How to achieve Level 5 in English" not sure of publisher. They cover the extra bit needed to acheive the higher level. CGP books are also good.

One of the things that would make the most impact is a good vocabulary.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi yoyo123

Thanks for replying.

In relation to , the "One Hundred Exercises in English Usage" - have you found it not very challenging. I find it to be challenging, however, if not I am open to using other titles.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

no, sorry I've used the first aid in English occasionally.

I'm not a great fan of exercises type work for English,( this is my personal opinion though). What does the school use?
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi yoyo123

If I may, I will PM you about this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now