Question 31 in Saint Olaves Sample paper!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumsdarling2

Question 31 in Saint Olaves Sample paper!!

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Has anyone solved the question 31 in the additional practice paper for SET that was available to purchase yesterday? The answer was given on the very last page but has anyone worked out the logic behind it :?:
Guest55

Re: Question 31 in Saint Olaves Sample paper!!

Post by Guest55 »

What is the question?
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Given code is this:
12345 6789A BCDEF GHIJK LMNOP QRSTU VWXYZ

If the code for PLANTS = FAXAFE, what is the code for STRONG?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Mmm - v tricky - havn't worked it out myself yet. Question is;

12345 6789A BCDEF GHIJK LMNOP QRSTU VWXYZ

If the code for PLANTS is FAXAFE

what is the code for STRONG

It then gives 5 x multiple choice answers. Is there some significance that it is in 'blocks' of numbers/letters do you think?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

aha! Think I have it - am I allowed to give the answer or just hint? Will hint for now - work backwards with the letters in order and write the relationship down. Hope that helps. My ds hasn't tried the paper yet - will save that 'treat' for another time!
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

I have solved it but I think the paper has a mistake. It is about moving back a certain number of places. But the last letter (E changing to S) threw me into confusion. I think the statement PLANTS=FAXAFE is WRONG. It should have been PLANTS=FAXAFD.

What do you think?
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Try question 30. It is sure to bring on a massive headache :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

mumsdarling2 wrote:I have solved it but I think the paper has a mistake. It is about moving back a certain number of places. But the last letter (E changing to S) threw me into confusion. I think the statement PLANTS=FAXAFE is WRONG. It should have been PLANTS=FAXAFD.

What do you think?
Completely agree. D is the logical sequence leading up to that, and E is wrong.
grgygirl wrote:Is there some significance that it is in 'blocks' of numbers/letters do you think?
The blocks of letters and numbers are there to help you count back and forth in fives and tens, and then count from there.
Try question 30. It is sure to bring on a massive headache :?
As these are apparently paid-for sample papers I don't want to encourage anyone to publish further details, but if you want to PM me Question 30 to look at I will happily do so.

It surely can't be more terrifying than this one - I've never seen anything quite like it.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thanks Sally-Anne. I pored over the question 31 for about half an hour convinced that I was making a mistake. It is disappointing that a school like St Olaves churned out a paid paper with such a mistake in it. I would have expected them to do the due diligence before selling it to parents.

I have solved the question 30 but my husband does not agree that my solution is clear. I will pm you. Appreciate your response.
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

Could someone please pm me the answer to questions 30 and 31. DS and I tried for hours yesterday but couldn't figure out the logic.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now