St. John's senior potters bar

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nikku

St. John's senior potters bar

Post by nikku »

Hi all
I am thinking of applying to St. John's senior for my dd. Can anyone share their experiences of St. John's senior.
Daogroupie

Re: St. John's senior potters bar

Post by Daogroupie »

What are your reasons for considering it over schools such as Habs, St Albans and NLCS?

It all depends what you are looking for. Small, family run, but not very academically focused. A school that ties in its preps by not really preparing them for anything other than the senior school.

English seems to be a really weak area. The preps seem fine with Maths but English levels are very low. I would be concerned about the cohort.

This is not a General 11 Plus Topic that will interest the whole country. You are better off posting it in Herts and North London or the private school section. DG
nikku

Post by nikku »

Thank you, I have reported I. Independent schools

Daogroupie wrote:What are your reasons for considering it over schools such as Habs, St Albans and NLCS?

It all depends what you are looking for. Small, family run, but not very academically focused. A school that ties in its preps by not really preparing them for anything other than the senior school.

English seems to be a really weak area. The preps seem fine with Maths but English levels are very low. I would be concerned about the cohort.

This is not a General 11 Plus Topic that will interest the whole country. You are better off posting it in Herts and North London or the private school section. DG
loobylou

Re: St. John's senior school potters bar

Post by loobylou »

I have a friend whose dd attends there. She is very happy with it (both my friend and her dd). Her dd has some fairly marked learning needs. My friend feels the small friendly environment suits her but it is not academic at all from what I can gather...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of a parent who turned down a place at DAO for her dd to go to St Johns as the Head convinced her it had far more to offer than DAO.

This dd was a real all rounder, very strong in Sport, Music, Drama and English and Maths. I have never met the Head but this fact alone tells me she must be very impressive! DG
nikku

Post by nikku »

Thank you loobylou and DG
They ranked top 100 in the times/independent league table!! How do the league tables work?

Daogroupie wrote:I know of a parent who turned down a place at DAO for her dd to go to St Johns as the Head convinced her it had far more to offer than DAO.

This dd was a real all rounder, very strong in Sport, Music, Drama and English and Maths. I have never met the Head but this fact alone tells me she must be very impressive! DG
copella

Post by copella »

The children I know who went there have been the ones who have not passed the 11 plus and their parents do not want them to go to the local comp. There is an entrance test but it seems fairly easy to get in. It is also very small. However the families we know who have sent their children there have seemed content enough with their choice.
copella

Post by copella »

The children I know who went there have been the ones who have not passed the 11 plus and their parents do not want them to go to the local comp. There is an entrance test but it seems fairly easy to get in. It is also very small. However the families we know who have sent their children there have seemed content enough with their choice.
nikku

Post by nikku »

Thanks copella
So it's more of a last resort...
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

They have a VR, English and Maths test.

VR pass mark is 60% and if you pass this you are in so concentrate on this.

Maths is KS2 so straightforward and English is writing a story from a list of topics given.

Interview is just a formality if you have done well in the exam but remember to dress smart (no trainers or unruly/long hair). The school is quite strict but most children are happy.