Marking questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thirdtimemum

Marking questions

Post by thirdtimemum »

Ok, ds took his first exam yesterday and I'm now trying to work out how it is a scored. I I understand that his raw score will be adjusted according to his age but is there some other standardisation? I think I've seen that it is averaged out and that the top mark is 140 in each paper? I get that people can score higher depending on age but is the standardisation published anywhere? ie if you are age 11 years exactly and get 90% right you score 130?
I think I'm right in thinking Walsall have 3 scores and Birmingham 2 which is why Walsall is higher?
Sorry last question but I'm struggling with all of this... How do they look at the age... My ds was born at the end of the month, will he just be in the same bracket as everyone born that month or do they look at the particular day?
Thanks so much for your help
KenR

Re: Marking questions

Post by KenR »

see http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =11&t=7148

To answer your other questions,

140 is not the top score in the B/Ham or Walsall Durham exam - see link
The specific standardisations are not published - we have asked but KE haven't released in recent year, however I did obtain a copy some years ago for the B/Ham 2006 exam so I have an idea what they look like. It's a block matrix conversion which converts a raw score to a standardised score for a particular section or paper (depending on the criteria). The age matrix columns are expressed in Age (years and Months) on the day of the exam - typically something like from 10:05 to 11:11
um

Re: Marking questions

Post by um »

The Birmingham exam has around 50% of marks from Maths/NVR (combined) and around 50% of marks from VR/literacy. Each section has an 'average' (from those taking the exam) of 100...making a general 'average' of 200.
By average we are talking about average of the test-sitters which will obviously be above national 'average'.

The Walsall exam is marked 3-way with around a third of marks for Maths, a third for NVR and a third for VR/literacy. With a standardised 'average' of 100 per section this makes the overall average 300.