AGS open day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Redtulip12

AGS open day

Post by Redtulip12 »

Hi, could anyone please tell me when the open day for 2016 entry is taking place? It is usually a couple of days after Sggs which is June 10th but have not seen a date mentioned yet. Thx
JamesDean

Re: AGS open day

Post by JamesDean »

I think it was at the beginning of July last year - quite late really.
Let us know if you find out - DD's not interested atm, but its not unlike her to change her mind (repeatedly) :roll:

JD
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I have 2nd July from 5.30 on my calendar which I'm sure I got off their website
Sillygoose

Post by Sillygoose »

Nice to look around again, especially with our own 'tour guide' Not as many 6 formers around this year which was a shame. I thought it was was busier than past years and parking was chock-a-block across the surrounding area.

Teacher were wonderfully upbeat and despite quite a fair bit of staff turnover going on didn't seem perturbed.

During the Vice Principles later presentation we had to smile at her one slip and wondered if it was a Freudian moment, she meant to say 'the teachers showing their love for their subjects' out came 'the teachers showing their love for the pupils' quickly and awkwardly corrected. Considering one situation at AGS I heard of through the grapevine highly unfortunate.
sparkles18

Post by sparkles18 »

We were also at the open day and heard that 18 members of staff are leaving at the end of term. Not sure if this is correct but it did concern us and wondered if everything was okay at the school. How do any current parents feel about the school since the new head started last year?
Sillygoose

Post by Sillygoose »

sparkles18 wrote:We were also at the open day and heard that 18 members of staff are leaving at the end of term. Not sure if this is correct but it did concern us and wondered if everything was okay at the school. How do any current parents feel about the school since the new head started last year?
A number are taking retirement which is normal. With the ever increasing intake its going to be harder work than ever for the staff and to be honest with that prospect if I was in a position to I would probably take the opportunity to retire too! (you want to wind down to retirement, not wind up)

Its also not unusual during a new heads initial time for some staff to change, a few will not get on with him or not like changes or were maybe 'encouraged' towards the door by the head with a fresh pair of eyes deciding they are not performing.

The previous head was a real 'vote winner' to me, he came across with a lot of genuine passion for the school. The new one not so sure at first, but he hasn't wrecked the place yet and came across better this time I thought. He is still a very different type of head.

The head is really a business manager more than an academic these days running a company with a medium sized companies turnover. If he has the business skills then the school will continue to do well.

Apparently the language subjects are changing more from permanent staff to part time (freelance?) staff who they can schedule to work to suit the lesson plans, the extra flexibility meaning everyone should get all their choices. But its probably no coincidence at least one permanent language teacher is leaving.
Salapanda

Post by Salapanda »

Sillygoose wrote:During the Vice Principles later presentation we had to smile at her one slip and wondered if it was a Freudian moment, she meant to say 'the teachers showing their love for their subjects' out came 'the teachers showing their love for the pupils' quickly and awkwardly corrected. Considering one situation at AGS I heard of through the grapevine highly unfortunate.
:lol: :lol:

Haven't been on for a while but thought I would check in to see what people thought of the open evening.

My ds is just fininshing Y7 at AGS.

I have to say how impressed I am with the school, and not just on an academic basis. The pastoral care is second to none and my son has particularly enjoyed the sports side along with drama, art and music. I have obviously had limited dealings with the new head but have found him to be incredibly switched on and I like the fact that he takes the time to actually teach!

As an academy, AGS is first and foremost a business and is run that way. After all, if it were to fail financially,there would be no school for our children to go to! As part of that though, they really do care about the welfare of the children. Even one child underperforming would be noticeable in their results therefore they do everything in their power to make sure everyone is happy and receives whatever help they may need. Bad behaviour (as long as they know about it) is stamped on immediately.

I do have reservations about yet another extra class being taken on from this September as, although there are spaces in the sixth form that need to be filled in order for the school to function successfully on a financial level, it seems a lot of extra bodies before they get to Y12!

As regards the staff turnover, I'm sure it isn't at all that unusual in a school of that size and, like Sillygoose says, is really only to be expected with a new head coming in after Mr Blaikie was there for such a long time.

Only time will tell I suppose but if subsequent years are as successful as Y7 has been for my child, I won't be complaining :D .
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Quote: "If he has the business skills then the school will continue to do well."

...not necessarily - I have worked with some very focussed business people, who still fail, because they do not have the personality/"bedside manner" needed to impress the team working under them or the clients they serve. :)

However, saying that, I do not know the new Head but friends who are at AGS have remarked on the different ethos at the school now (in neither a particularly positive or negative way) but have said that the different ethos seems to be impacting on staff more than students/parents at the moment. They have also said that there is a concern that expanding the school in Y7, whilst maybe a sound financial decision, inevitably means that the level coming in is slightly decreased. (However, for parents this is a good thing and I expect AGS to see a slight increase in applications on the CAF as it will be seen as a more achievable bet in the numbers game.)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Aw, I've just read in the newsletter (send to us alumni) that both Mr Wells and Herr Kopp are retiring this year. Bearing in mind they both started (and taught me French and German) while I was there in the 80s, they certainly deserve a rest!

Fab teachers - still quote Mr Wells to my kids ... HAB anyone?? :D

JD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now