low scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Letsdoit

low scores

Post by Letsdoit »

Just bit of silly question If DS gets a low score in SW Herts which school he will end up or still he will be able to get into his first choice. :?:
Cutting42

Re: LOW SCORES

Post by Cutting42 »

Not silly but potentially complicated.

Assume a score of 200, not low but average.

Choices are with lowest score for entry at first round of selection (not real just made up numbers for the sake of the example)
1st Parmiters 240
2nd Watford Grammar 238
3rd Rickmansworth 220
4th Queens 210

None of the schools academic criteria are met so DC will go to clearing and be assigned a school with space based on distance. Could be Bushey Academy, Francis Combe or Westfield or even further afield.

This assumes DC does not live close enough to get a distance place at any of the chosen schools

DC can choose to remain on the continued interest for any or all of the selected schools and in fact can specify a school not on the original list for continued interest.

As places at the schools are accepted and rejected the lowest score gaining admission drops potentially to a point where DC might fall into the acceptance criteria lets say for Queens. At that point I believe you will be automatically given a place at Queens if you have registered for continuing interest. You can remain on continuing interest for the other schools in case they drop further.

So it is theoretically possible you can get a place at your first choice but you need to meet the entry requirements.

I hope this helps.
Letsdoit

Re: LOW SCORES

Post by Letsdoit »

Thank a lot for a useful explanation.
HenryVIII

Re: low scores

Post by HenryVIII »

It depends where you live. Are you in Herts? Are you close to your/Ofted's definition of a good school? There are distance places available to most schools. All the schools in the consortium are over-subscribed.

Bushey Meads takes 25% in each ability band which has gone quite a long way out and the waiting list moved around 30 places this year for band B (check the threads about this). Once the band is ascertained, the candidates are then re-arranged by distance to the school (but you won't know this until they publish the scores online in March).

If you do not get any of your choices and live in SW Herts you'll get Westfield as it is the only community school left and they have to make space for you (were 60 over PAN I think for 2015). The others are academies which are their own admitting authorities.

This year the results will be difficult to predict because the tests are changing (VR paper being replaced by CEM) - this might create more differentiation (or not) and the cut offs might stop their year-on-year climb.

Personally, 'knowing-what-I-know-now' (nothing specific but lots of anecdotal comments about the progress of other DCs in DCs original primary school), if my DC had scored 200 or less then I'd pick Bushey Academy. I know of about 3 DCs thriving at BA - 2 were moved from BM by their parents.
madsystem

Re: low scores

Post by madsystem »

Westfield is academny too, just doesnt use selection test. Based on distance, so poeple who didnt put westfield as one of choices actually ended up at bushey, francis combe or even out at borehamwood even though children from their area got westfield. Also note as less children bus route to westfiled have been cut back.
Note reach free who picked up extra pupils last couple of years is full for september year seven in take. So again need to put as a choice.
With test results out before doing choices should be able to put sensible realistic range of choices.
Look carefully as last years scores and distances. Then check online distance as crow flies.
As elswhere o. This forumn, as test chnages scores not fully comparable, also ongoing boys girls grammar sibling challenging.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now