What are my chances?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

redapple

What are my chances?

Post by redapple »

Hi eveyone

Thanks for the preference numbers January 2008 it makes interesting reading. I am OCC and put John hampden as 1st choice we passed the exam now what are my chances.
Many thanks
Redapple
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Allocation profiles for JHG in 2005 and 2007 suggest places were awarded to applicants up to a distance of about 10 miles. In 2006, it was unlimited distance.

So how far away are you?
redapple

What are my chances?

Post by redapple »

Hi dad 40
I am 7 miles away.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi redapple

There are quite a few factors at work here, as you will realise.

The allocation profiles for the last 2 years were:

2007 - out area boys up to 10.905 miles

2006 - all offered

There are 80 first preferences for JHG this year (as you have seen), and the figure last year was 79. The only schools in your neck of the woods that won't be able to take all their first preferences are DCGS (16) and Beccy High ( 8 ), and some of those may have put JHG as 2nd preference. Then there will be some successful Appeals ... but even adding those up it is still a long way off the Admission number of 150.

In 2007 there were 17 places given to Out-of-County children.

So, distance is going to matter most. How far from the school/out of catchment are you?

Sally-Anne
redapple

What are my chances?

Post by redapple »

Hi Sally
Thanks for that . I am 7 miles away in Maidenhead
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi redapple

No promises, but as the numbers all round the County are pretty stable at present, you should be OK. I think in the end the only spoiler could be if there are too many OoC children who live nearer to the school.

(Sorry about the random smiley in the last message - it happens when you type 8 + bracket, thus: 8) Very annoying!)

Sally-Anne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

And there's me thinking that the 8) referred to some apparently strange people who put Beccy High as first choice and John Hampden as second choice. :wink:
redapple

What are my chances?

Post by redapple »

Thanks for all you replies. I live in hope.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is 7 miles the distance by road? Try google map from your postcode to that of the school - also it matters whether you are in or out of catchment.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi redapple

You should also check the distance using this site as it is the closest to the one that Bucks CC actually use (called the Integrated Transport Network) - in fact I believe that the measurements are usually identical, because the ITN is the software that runs the Transport Direct site:

http://www.transportdirect.info/TransportDirect/en/

Edit: Oh for flip's sake! I'm having one of those days!! Why is that link not showing up?? Anyway, just Google Transport Direct while I rush off to remonstrate with a programmer! :lol:

Another edit: Remonstrated, problem solved. Thank you programmer!

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now