Watford Grammar Girls (WGGS) vs Northwood College

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shilpaa

Watford Grammar Girls (WGGS) vs Northwood College

Post by shilpaa »

My daughter has been offered Watford Grammar school for girls and also Northwood college.(independent school)
In a big dilemma now which school to choose from.
Any thoughts for these schools.
Daogroupie

Re: Watford Grammar Girls (WGGS) vs Northwood College

Post by Daogroupie »

Northwood is the consortium school that girls take if they can't get into St Helens or St Albans or any of the other higher ranking schools.

Watford Grammar will be full of girls who will be academically far strongly than those at Northwood.

Watford 100% in my opinion though you have not told us the critieria that is important to you. If you want small class sizes then Northwood is the school for you. DG
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

This is quite late to be making this decision. If you turn down the place at Watford Girls, then the girl who is then offered a place from the continuing interest list will have missed the induction day and the social event for getting to know her new class.

Personally, I would go for Watford Girls, but I am biased because I attended the junior school at Northwood College (about a trillion years ago) and wasn't especially happy or academically stretched there.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The girls at Watford are certainly more 'street-wise' than at Northwood College where they tend to stay 'younger' for longer, probably because they aren't mixing with as wide a range of children. Some people like that. And by all reports, the Senior School at Northwood is very different from the Junior School. Watford is viewed as more academic, though. And it is free.

If it had been earlier in the term, I should have said visit them both to get a feel for the schools in operation. And forgive my asking, but will you have to pay a term's fees for Northwood College (I assume you have accepted the place)?
shilpaa

Post by shilpaa »

Thanks for the replies so far.
We have paid the deposit at Northwood college.
My daughter was on wait list for Watford grammar girls for outer catchment and we're just offered a place.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Also look at the results for the subjects your dd is interested in. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at results in general ...

You cannot know which subjects your child will be interested in studying and all the syllabuses are changing over the next few years so current results mean little.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

shilpaa wrote:Thanks for the replies so far.
We have paid the deposit at Northwood college.
My daughter was on wait list for Watford grammar girls for outer catchment and we're just offered a place.
Given your circumstances I would ask Watford if you could take another look round asap - that would be a reasonable request. However, you can hardly ask to look round again at Northwood (I assume they have broken up now anyway?) mm the grounds that you are considering turning them down again.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

I don't know anything about Northwood but as your DD achieved an outer catchment place she clearly did very well in the consortium test, she will find plenty of similar ability DC at WGGS and has a very real chance of being very successful at the school. My DD did her GCSE's this year and is staying for the sixth form. Quite apart from the academic elements of WGGS it is also very strong in Sports, Arts and Music, my DD is Arts oriented and chose to stay over dedicated arts college.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

Can you think back to what your preference would have been in October when you made the application?

It's really hard to be faced with this decision under pressure. In October you would have had a clear head about where would be best for your daughter - if you can remember, then that is probably the school you should go for!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now