12+ for RLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MK Dad

12+ for RLS

Post by MK Dad »

Hi,

Is it worth going for the 12+ for entry to RLS?

Eldest daughter is at RLS and doing well. Son failed the 11 plus badly this year, we still can’t understand how this happened as he passed two mocks and could do maths and NVR in his sleep, so we put it down to exam nerves. Head teacher was less than helpful 2/3 recommendation and 4b predicted sats – so the appeal was a waste of time. His sats have just come out and were in line with our expectations 5c, 5b and 5a maths (higher than his sister at the same stage although she cruised most of year 6). He is really keen to sit the 12+ and this week did his first 11+ paper since sept and got 95%.

Is there any point in him sitting the 12+ to get a place at RLS? According to my reading of the links on the site there are no places at RLS via 12+. However my daughter is adamant that several pupils joined year 8 this year after taking the 12+.

Thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: 12+ for RLS

Post by Guest55 »

It's worth a go but the school will probably be full so you'll have to appeal for a place.

Places awarded on appeal aren't recorded in the published data and we can only 'see' them later when pupils on roll data is available.
in Jan 2015
current Y7 was 177
current Y8 was 179
current Y9 was 175

So clearly parents have won appeals ... as a sibling you could build a good case - their PAN of 174 is crazy too with all the additional rooms they are adding.
Marylou

Re: 12+ for RLS

Post by Marylou »

Yes, worth a go. Though I assume from your name that you are not in catchment? For RLS, non-catchment siblings have lower priority than in-catchment applicants, but are ranked more highly than other non-catchment applicants. You would therefore probably have to appeal, but as G55 points out there are grounds for presenting a good case.
Marylou