112 and 118

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dejavu

112 and 118

Post by dejavu »

I was starting to fell a bit happier about things when I was showing a friend all of our appeal papers and the info we had gathered. Read through the Bucks appeals pamphlet again which says that last year 37% of the 900 appeals were sucessful but over 85% of the successful appeals were for scores of between 116 and 120. Great, I thought, my daughter got 118 so there was hope. Now I am despondent again as recent postings said that with that score there is only a 50% chance of success.
And to make matters worse she only got 112 in the first test and it is worse if there is a big discrepancy. So we obviously have to show that the first score was a blip and can back it up with HT recommendation, top 25% for english and maths and predicted SATS 5s in a very high performing school. Have since found out that a lot of the children who passed also did poorly in the first test (eg 111 but getting 124 in second one). But these scores will not be available, will they? Could it be that the school had not covered a particular type of question. Or the only other reason I could think of that my daughter mucked up the first paper was that she misinterpreted a section, so obviously when she went over those particular questions at the end she thought she had got them right. But surely this would not look good at the appeal as it shows she was careless. Not sure what to do. I'm just hanging on to the hope that two years ago my friends daughter got 110 and 118 and was also an August birth but still won her appeal with no mitigating circumstances.
many thanks
dejavu
Lynsey

Post by Lynsey »

Hi, Dejavu
We were in a similar position with my son's first paper at 111 (second 120) and I expained that he was particularly nervous for the first one - couldn't sleep, ate no breakfast, felt sick etc. Obviously, all the children feel under pressure for these tests but I think that some children can cope with it better than others. I was able to say, truthfully, that I felt that his first score was a particularly low score for him and was evidence of how nervous and anxious he was. (our appeal was successful) I agree with you that there is not much more you can say if you do not have mitigating circumstances appropriate.

The schools do not train the pupils in any way for these tests; they are meant to be a test of innate ability(!) - so that defence may have serious weaknesses.

Best wishes with your appeal - will be thinking of you.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Thanks for your comments Lynsey and well done. We were a lot more confident with my son two years ago as he got 120 and 117 and the appeal panel only asked us three questions. But surely if you say that they were nervous etc is might show that they will not be able to cope with the presure of a grammar school and the frequent tests that they have, and it would be seen as a sign of weakness. Although my daughter normally does perform well under pressure, for example, she is one of the top junior dog handlers in the UK (for dog showing) and has qualified two dogs for Crufts this year which she will be exhibiting.
many thanks
dejavu
Lynsey

Post by Lynsey »

dejavu,
You're right...the panel did suggest that my son might not be able to cope with the exams at grammar school, but I pointed out that as far as I know there are just as many important tests and exams at upper school. Furthermore, by the time he came to GCSEs there was every chance that he would have matured.