11+ 2015 - have the issues of the 2014 test been addressed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Heleneric

11+ 2015 - have the issues of the 2014 test been addressed?

Post by Heleneric »

I follow the threads on this website with interest. I have noted that a number of parents identified serious issues with the 2014 new format Kent test.

1. A large number of children failed to finish the Maths section either not answering questions or guessing the final few. With only 30 questions, every guess/unanswered question has a significant impact and the test seemed to favour speed over maths ability.
2. The English section was frequently seen as "too easy."
3. The consequence of the above was reflected in the different pass marks for Maths and English. The Maths pass mark was 11/12 out of 30 whereas the English pass mark was 16/17 out of 24. The disparity between these two is huge.

Is there any indication that KCC or the test providers GL have taken these "teething problems" of the new style test on board and that they will seek to resolve these in the 2015 test or is it something that we (or rather our children) will only find out on the day?
mystery

Re: 11+ 2015 - have the issues of the 2014 test been address

Post by mystery »

I guess one would have to ask KCC to find out - and they might not answer. GL Assessment does what KCC asks and pays for.
hazydaze

Post by hazydaze »

I'm curious too as this year will be my first experience of the 11+ system. However, I'm guessing that in order to try to keep the tests 'untutorable' it would probably be in KCCs interest not to reveal their plans for resolving last year's teething problems. All we can do I suppose is ensure that our children are broadly prepared and able to work as fast as they can (in my child's case - that's not fast enough unfortunately!) :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

No, all would hope that they wouldn't give away the wrong sort of information about the tests themselves but one might expect them to be able to say that they were making some changes so that the test result in each subject is equally statistically reliable (or unreliable).
Heleneric

Post by Heleneric »

I think Mystery's hit the nail on the head. Obviously KCC wouldn't provide some sort of head's up on the content of the test but would they provide some sort of reassurance that they are seeking to make sure that the test is as statistically robust as possible - which clearly last year it was not.

I guess the only way to find out is to contact KCC and ask. If I get a useful response I'll post it.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Last year it was the English test that was most problematic as it was weighted so highly with each question correct (and there were only 24 questions) contributing a massive 2 marks to the overall score :shock: .

Of the people who didn't pass last year, for 90% of them it was the English test that let them down :cry: ! Which is why for the first time KCC told me more DDs passed than DSs.

If I was a parent of a DS, I would place a lot of firepower behind ensuring my DSs English and SPAG was spot on 8)

Good luck everyone :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, and the English paper is so very short. The GL papers contain four types of question - comprehension, punctuation, spelling and something a bit like "Cloze" sentences. Last year punctuation was not in there - there presumably isn't time for everything. So maybe it will come up this year? I find that this is the one where my own children make the most silly slips despite knowing the stuff - and probably the one where they see the most errors around them too from adults too (think of all those letters you see these days, including from headteachers, which end Kind Regards - or Yours Sincerely or Yours Faithfully - it really makes me feel quite ill).