6th Forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Caro

6th Forms

Post by Caro »

Just when I thought I could breathe a sigh of relief (DS starting WBGS in September and DD entering year 11 at WGSG) DD informs me that she wishes to go to a different 6th form. She is adament and has it in her head that she wants to go to school in London. She is hard working and quite academic but she is also into film and arts so feels that she wants to broaden her horizons. I have no idea where to start with this so any advice from you more experience parents would be greatly appreciated. I think she would like to do English Lit, Classics and Film Studies as A levels but not sure about the 4th.

:?: :?: :o :o :o
Guest55

Re: 6th Forms

Post by Guest55 »

Not many schools offer Film Studies as it's not a 'recommended' subject at A level.

What does she want to study post A level? It might be worth checking which A levels are required.
Caro

Post by Caro »

oh really - i did not know that so that's a big help! I am not really sure that she knows - she thinks something to do with writing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes there's some doubt about whether the subject will be withdrawn in a few years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... -axed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The position has softened a bit but there's no guarantee it will run for more than a couple more years.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Caro wrote:Just when I thought I could breathe a sigh of relief (DS starting WBGS in September and DD entering year 11 at WGSG) DD informs me that she wishes to go to a different 6th form. She is adament and has it in her head that she wants to go to school in London. She is hard working and quite academic but she is also into film and arts so feels that she wants to broaden her horizons. I have no idea where to start with this so any advice from you more experience parents would be greatly appreciated. I think she would like to do English Lit, Classics and Film Studies as A levels but not sure about the 4th.

:?: :?: :o :o :o
We have been through this. DD has just finished year 11 but we spent a slightly concerning few months a while back when she announced she wanted to study art elsewhere. We had several discussions as to why and it partially comes from a desire to exert her own independence and partially the feeling that the school was not focused on the "right" sort of art. Engaging the art teacher and many discussions talking about further stages in studying art allowed her to rethink the decision and stay at WGGS but with a view to do an art foundation before finalising the degree choice. She has decided on Art History, Fine Art, English and either Maths or Music at A level, result dependent.

Be open with DD and don't be afraid to talk to the school, they are very keen on students staying especially if they are able.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Does each school / college advertise its open days on its website? My eldest is about to go into Y11 and I'm a bit clueless, having never done this before.

Also, can you apply to more than one school / college? His first choice is WBGS, but we should probably apply elsewhere as well in case his GCSE grades are lower than expected.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes dates are on websites so you need to keep an eye open on the schools you are interested in.

You can apply to several - some ask if they are your first choice but they can't really check this!

Offers of subjects will vary so a back-up is always a good idea. Some schools aren't offering the 'new' AS as it doesn't contribute to A level anymore. [see my post on timeline of reform]
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Guest55 wrote:Yes dates are on websites so you need to keep an eye open on the schools you are interested in.

You can apply to several - some ask if they are your first choice but they can't really check this!

Offers of subjects will vary so a back-up is always a good idea. Some schools aren't offering the 'new' AS as it doesn't contribute to A level anymore. [see my post on timeline of reform]
Thank you
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It all happens very quickly in the first few weeks of the Autumn term of Year 11 so blink and you will miss it! The private schools have exams in each A level you are interested in. The state schools use estimated grades from the current school. There are about 50 new students coming into dd's year in September. Personally I think they are very brave. My dd is excited to be having brand new students to the school in her classes. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It all happens very quickly in the first few weeks of the Autumn term of Year 11 so blink and you will miss it
In Bucks they range from November to March, so not all are so early.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now