Favourite words

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Favourite words

Post by Guest55 »

Leading on from the trash? thread I found (online) this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"When Cambridge Dictionaries conducted a survey to find the nation’s Top Twenty words, both Mum and weekend featured high in the list which ran, in descending order of popularity, as follows:

Nincompoop, Love, Mum, Discombobulated, Excellent, Happy, Squishy, Fabulous, Cool, Onomatopoeia, Weekend, Incandescent, Wicked, Lovely, Lush, Peace, Cosy, Bed, Freedom — and finally, at number 20, Kiss."

Apologies for posting something from te Daily Mail but I hope others find the article interesting.
doodles

Re: Favourite words

Post by doodles »

I like the word "dollop" it expresses frustration, idiocy etc without being rude or offensive eg " ignore him he's just being a dollop".
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Muppet. Used as a term of affection as well as when someone does something daft in this house.

Leading on from muppets, phenomenon. Whenever we hear it, all there of us break out into singing 'phenomenon, do do do do do' etc to the muppet theme.

Slightly OT, but I have a few favourite unit of measurements, which I suppose are words.
Degrees Twaddle
Acres-foot/day

Never used either
doodles

Post by doodles »

Along with muppet goes wombat!

On the other hand I hate the word "moist" it makes me squirm :?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thunk

I hate this word. Came up several times in a twilight inset and I had no idea what the Deputy Head was on about. Wasted two hours of my life thinking how ugly it sounded.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

'Moist' is one of their list of least favourite words along with:

Phlegm, Smear, Pustule, Panties, Croak, Mucus, Congeal, Dangle, Chunk.

Talking of favorite units I liked the old poundal and tondal - pre SI units.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I love "hullabaloo"

I can win any argument with dh by simply saying "gusset" he hates,the word so much.

Muppet is used more endearingly now, but originated at a much nastier, sinister level, when gangsters used the term to describe someone who was allowing themselves to be manipulated into doing something criminal by someone else. I.e. they were not in control of their own actions like a puppet. "Did you deal with it, no I got a muppet to do it." Or "I didn't realise the parcel contained drugs." "You muppet"
KB

Post by KB »

Oh dear, 'Muppet' is a favourite at the DCs school when the boys do something daft. Maybe the staff should be more careful!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Onomatopeia.

A word that describes words that sound like sounds.

The ultimate word. :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

KB wrote:Oh dear, 'Muppet' is a favourite at the DCs school when the boys do something daft. Maybe the staff should be more careful!

I think it's use has softened enough to forgive them, it's now simply used to mean a bit ditzy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now