New gradings for GCSEs in 2017

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lillie

New gradings for GCSEs in 2017

Post by Lillie »

Sorry to ask something that is probably covered elsewhere, but I am pretty confused about the types of GCSE my DC will be taking in two years' time - 2017.

I understand that is the first year for the introduction of the new type of GCSE but it will only apply to the exams in English and maths where they will have the new numbered grading system. Is the content of the GCSE syllabuses also changing?

We have had no formal communication from the school about this and all the reports so far are still on the old letter grading system. I suppose the teachers themselves don't really know either.

My concern is that the 2017 GCSE cohort (those kids about to go into Year 10 in September) are going to be guinea pigs for a new type of test, with a grading system that no one really understands. I also don't like the fact that some of the GCSEs will be the new grading system and some will be the old A* - E. We will not be comparing like for like. I know everyone is in the same boat but it really seems very unfair for that cohort.
Guest55

Re: New gradings for GCSEs in 2017

Post by Guest55 »

There is a timeline here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... year-group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explanantion of grading:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... year-group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also information in exam board websites - initially 4 was described as the new C but the latest I've read implies 5 which is higher than the current grade C.

There have been many changes in the last twenty years and every cohort has had some changes so I'm not sure these are worse then those for the new Year 12s with a mixture of linear and modular A levels or the year that ... etc! etc!
moved

Post by moved »

The 'International Standard' sat between a C and a B if that helps.
So higher than a current C.

From .gov

The approach will mean:

Broadly the same proportion of students will achieve a grade 4 and above as currently achieve a grade C and above
Broadly the same proportion of students will achieve a grade 7 and above as currently achieve an A and above
For each examination, the top 20 per cent of those who get grade 7 or above will get a grade 9 – the very highest performers
The bottom of grade 1 will be aligned with the bottom of grade G
Grade 5 will be positioned in the top third of the marks for a current Grade C and bottom third of the marks for a current Grade B. This will mean it will be of greater demand than the present grade C, and broadly in line with what the best available evidence tells us is the average PISA performance in countries such as Finland, Canada, the Netherlands and Switzerland
The new maths GCSE will be tiered, with grades 4 and 5 available through both tiers
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've found the announcement now about them changing 4 to 5:

Nicky Morgan:

"The other big change that I’m announcing today is about the grading system we’ll use for the new GCSEs that start being taught this September.

As some of you might know, we’re already replacing the old system of A* to U with a new scale of 9 to 1.

And today I’ve confirmed that the ‘good pass’ will be set at a grade 5. That’s at the top of the current grade C and the bottom of the current grade B.

To be sure, it’s a step up from where we are now and really does raise the bar. It brings us in line with the expectations that top performing countries like Finland, Canada, the Netherlands and Switzerland have for their students.

And as I said earlier, for your generation it isn’t good enough for you just to be top of your class, or the best in your neighbourhood. You need to be able to show that the qualifications you’ve earned and worked hard for can go toe-to-toe with your peers from across the globe."

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -the-ebacc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For completeness here is the original Ofqual chart:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ses-in.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
moved

Post by moved »

They need scrapping!

Countries with little or no assessment at 16 train towards the PISA test and therefore do better than our children who are working very hard towards GCSEs.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ucture.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another bit of light reading ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:They need scrapping!

Countries with little or no assessment at 16 train towards the PISA test and therefore do better than our children who are working very hard towards GCSEs.
Surely not Finland :shock: ? I always wondered how Finnish teenagers coped with however it is that they are assessed for PISA if they have never had any formal assessments up till then (or, for that matter, why the powers that be in Finland allow them to do these tests, if they don't believe in formal testing).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

Not sure why we are still quoting Finland as their bubble appears to have popped!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

:shock:
moved wrote:Not sure why we are still quoting Finland as their bubble appears to have popped!
:shock: (goes to have a lie down...).

Please tell me that Singapore is still going strong?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Thanks for the details of changes for GCSE 2017.

I am wondering if the curriculum change too or is it just the marking from 0-9

too confused! :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now