Cut through to STRS - help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stressed?Moi?

Cut through to STRS - help please

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I intend doing a dummy run with ds over the summer and wanted to make sure I've got the final bit of the journey right as I don't intend doing it with him.

This is the googlemap for the area (it won't cut an paste in google earth format):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lon ... 91bf602ad9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we get off at the 94 bus stop and walk back towards the Greyhound traffic lights, there appears to be a small lane (distinguishable by a conifer hedge on one side and a brown wooden fence on the other side) which I'm hoping is a cut through to the school. I can't work out if the cut through is a pedestrianized bit of Elmleaze (leading onto the vehicular part of Elmleaze).

Can anyone clarify for me please :D . Cheers
RedVelvet

Re: Cut through to STRS - help please

Post by RedVelvet »

There is definitely a cut through, I'll ask my boy tonight but I think you've got the right place. There are lots of boys using the 94 so he'll have a crowd to follow!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I have DS here and he says he gets off the bus opposite the petrol station, turns left and back up the road to Cheltenham. The cut through is on the right hand side not far along the road just before a really run down house, it has a hedge on the left and fence with houses on the right. You can see the school as soon as you enter the cut through.

When we did a practise run 2 years ago we got it wrong and went right getting lost in the estate behind. DS also says don't worry too much as the older boys will pick up the younger ones on the bus and guide them the right way to school and it won't take long before you DS is confident on the bus. I have already asked my DS to make sure DD gets on the bus safely in the first week and then to take some of her old classmates off the bus to school until they are confident. Also the majority catch the 94U in the mornings as it is more direct than the 94, unless you live in Churchdown obviously.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Yay, it is the same/correct one.

That's really helpful both.

Cheers.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I could now do with advice on the walk through to HSFG from the 94 bus, I know it is one of 2 roads and not sure which bus stop to get off as need to do a couple of bus runs with DD. It is the only bit of going to HSFG she is worried about.
cazien

Post by cazien »

MedievalBabe wrote:I could now do with advice on the walk through to HSFG from the 94 bus, I know it is one of 2 roads and not sure which bus stop to get off as need to do a couple of bus runs with DD. It is the only bit of going to HSFG she is worried about.
Not sure where the 94 drops off but if you are talking about the "cut through" from Estcourt Road either alley way is easy to follow. From Cheltenham Road, the first one cuts through to Lansdown Road the second one to North Road. If she uses the bus stop opposite the Uni of Glos, she can cross the road (with care it is a nightmare!) walk around the corner and along Estcourt Road until she reaches a pedestrian crossing. The second alley-way cut through is located here. Turn left out of the alley iand HSFG is in front of you. Not sure which entrances the girls can use but easy enough to access from here.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We were looking at the 2 roads, either Oxford St or Heathville Rd and she would get off near the bus station either slightly further up the road or down. Just trying to get a bit of reassurance as to which is used.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We tried it today walking down Oxford St, catching the bus outside the bus depot and she beat me home as I had to walk back to the car and walked back using Heathville Rd which took longer. She felt much happier afterwards, but also had big bro with her so we will do it again next week but she will be on her own.

Think it is important to do dry runs to STR and HSFG so the DCs feel confident once they start and it's one less thing to worry about.