Headaches

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Headaches

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Although I am generally very healthy, as I get older, I am prone to more headaches which tend to be more severe and longer lasting - on the edge of migraines. I have had my eyes tested and now have low level reading glasses, I drink more fluids (non alcoholic!) in the summer and try to move around more to prevent cricks in my neck etc. I am aware that there may be a hormonal link to them and, certainly, they are linked to stress. However, I am not a fan of the "pop a pill" school of thought - and tend to use pills as a last resort - has anyone got any tried and tested headache cures that work for them?
wildwest

Re: Headaches

Post by wildwest »

I have had migraines for quite some time and 'fatty foods, hunger, lack of sleep and stress' are my identified triggers. I do 'pop a pill' as without that the headache won't go.

But I have heard very good personal recommendations for Meditation, but have not tried it myself yet.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Going through puberty many moons ago I used to suffer from very severe migraine attacks .The remedy was on many occasions simply to go into my bedroom shut out the light and noise and go under the covers in my bed to include my head. I would allow my body to overheat which allowed my veins and arteries to expand and thus reducing the pressure wherever it was.This might be quite difficult as a busy woman.This would take one or two hours and I was always better for it.
I did try tablets but often they didn't work.
I hope you have had yourself properly checked out.
Its quite funny(not in the fun sense) when younger I would take Asprin when required for headaches without side effects.But in the last three years when it was prescribed was one of the causes of a lot of internal bleeding.Even how medications affect you can change over time.
Hope someone gives you a remedy which works.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I suddenly got blinding headaches over a year ago. The first time I ended up signed off work for over 4 weeks with the first week spent mostly in bed. I saw my GP who gave me pills, trying several different types, finding out I am intolerant to some and eventually finding one which meant I could function again. I also had to have a brain scan (see if there was something there :) and a neck scan to make sure there wasn't something else causing it. In the end they said it was referred pain from another condition I have and so found that treatment from my osteopath sorted out the pain, if I feel it coming back I know I need to slow down and get plenty of rest.

The headaches are your bodies way of telling you something is wrong and you can find a way of controlling them.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I found my headaches were related to neck/shoulder strain. I didn't connect the two as the symptoms were an almost blinding headache that didn't relate to anything lower down. However, when I visited a physio about different issue she identified a tension in my neck. The headaches haven't gone away (and are also definitely stress and hormone related) but I now know where the tension is likely to be and can often reduce the severity by massaging the stiff muscle in my shoulder. I also don't like taking pills, but if a headache starts at an inconvenient time I know that a single ibuprofen taken early in the development stage can avoid an almost disabling pain.

Years ago I never understood those ads saying 'tense nervous headache?' I do now!

I guess the results of this thread is that identifying the cause is the first stage in resolving the issue!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I get head ache related to neck pain. Paracetamol doesn't touch it, but ibuprofen gel on the neck or sometimes even olbas oil helps relax it.

My sister has had bad migraines for years. She has been hospitalised more than once. Currently kept under control by diet, as she found that yeast and dairy both trigger them. Restricts her diet enormously but she says it's worth it to keep the migraines to a minimum.
nikku

Post by nikku »

Hi
My headaches increased in intensity and duration.
I was sent for an MRI for my lower back, luckily I had , by chance, a complete spine MRI. This showed I had a spinal cord compression at the cervical/neck region which is causing the headaches I get.
I am not suggesting in anyway this could be the case for you, but worth while considering the possibility.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Thanks for all the replies - I think it sounds like it may be a combination of a couple of factors - hormones probably (these are currently "under investigation"), stress - definitely - things always seem to happen when the kids are off school so there is additional organisation etc to cope with and I am coming round to the belief that it may well be back/neck related too - when I am really bad I try and get dc to massage my back neck and that does give relief whilst they are doing it. Definitely one to get GP to have a look at - I'm not generally a wuss but the head is definitely beginning to be not a lot of fun. :(
nikku

Post by nikku »

I have found that heat patches work , I also use a neck shoulder wheat bag...
I know exactly how you feel...
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

For the hormonal part you could try a natural progesterone such as protest-e Be careful which one you get some are not so good.

For the stress part you could try a niacin supplement (vit B3 the flushing type) which is a natural vasodilator)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now