Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Justinterested

The Chinese School BBC2

Post by Justinterested »

Anyone watching this series ?
Guest55

Re: The Chinese School BBC2

Post by Guest55 »

I didn't watch it as I feel there is an 'agenda' in making it. I think I would have been tempted to 'play up' to such visitors when I was at school ...
salsa

Post by salsa »

I did watch it and it was interesting to see that their model doesn't seem to work in the UK. I can't see how they'll make the children comply. Maybe the 12 hours at school will have an impact in their learning.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Didn't watch it, as it doesn't appeal. However after seeing the trailer I did make the comment to DH that I couldn't see it working as the DC haven't been through the the system from when they started school.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I watched the last five minutes as was channel hopping - two observations: 1) if I had been the parent of any of the children they showed in the time I was watching, I would have been mortified at the appalling behaviour and lack of even basic respect and 2) the pressure the Chinese teachers were obviously under to achieve and perform and not let their school (in China, I assume) down, was massive and plain to see. I suspect it is this implicit pressure to achieve, in all areas, that is dripped down from on high - and accepted by everyone - that helps make China the education "success" it is today (whether the mental health of its' staff and children is a success, I cannot possibly comment).
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We have an exchange programme with a Chinese school and I have spoken at length with the teachers about the differences, positive and negative, of the 2 systems. They were in awe of our pastoral care and I in turn shocked at the pressure they are under, both from above and the parents, who think nothing of phoning them at home to discuss their offsprings' progress at whatever hour of the day or night suits them! No waiting to make an appointment over there ...

I know which system I prefer ...

JD
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I watched it and it is worth watching if only to see the culture differences.

For the Chinese system to work the children need to have learnt the "Chinese way" from a much younger age than year 9, interestingly some of the children looked very bored, but some, it seemed the brighter ones were learning.

I don't agree with the Chinese methods but do think children sitting quietly when told by a teacher to do so should be the norm!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

jabba7 wrote:I watched it and it is worth watching if only to see the culture differences.

For the Chinese system to work the children need to have learnt the "Chinese way" from a much younger age than year 9, interestingly some of the children looked very bored, but some, it seemed the brighter ones were learning.

I don't agree with the Chinese methods but do think children sitting quietly when told by a teacher to do so should be the norm!

I agree, but it summed it up when the kids admitted that punishments designed to humiliate were seen as humorous by the offending child and their peers.

I don't agree that it was just the brighter kids though that benefited, the girl who said she enjoyed the lessons admitted it was the first time she had understood equilibrium. Often having a full set of comprehensive notes and fully solved problems with correct answers can allow children to catch up during homework tasks. Whereas when working at your own pace, even with help, there is a limited supply of worked examples, let alone if you were a bit stuck in class, but the teacher didn't notice and you were too shy to ask. I suppose it does depend on the two hours a day self work session though, to really get the stuff sunk in.
There is deffo some degree of courses for horses I think.

I wonder if Sophie's parents were upset or resigned or even defensive when they saw their daughter playing up, presumably they had a pre-view.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Sophie was a worry to watch, I hope all is OK in her world as she was demanding a lot of attention.

Maybe the one thing we could take from the Chinese methods is the hours spent learning, they were at school 7 to 7 which is too long in my opinion but I don't see why children can't be at school from 9 to 5 esp if the extra hours could be used for other skills such as cooking, sport, art etc.

Before anyone responds assuming I must really dislike my children :lol: I think experts teaching children skills other than academic subjects in a group can be fun and interesting.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

jabba7 wrote:I don't see why children can't be at school from 9 to 5 esp if the extra hours could be used for other skills such as cooking, sport, art etc.
I know a family that emigrated and spent 6 mths travelling the world and when they left there were two reasons: 1) The local upper school was not helping their DC and 2) they felt that 25hrs per week was not enough education and they could easily supply that whilst travelling the world and self-tutoring (yes, another Alphamum in my Slummy Mummy world!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now