Are Tube drivers really worth a bigger pay rise?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YoungSuccess

Are Tube drivers really worth a bigger pay rise?

Post by YoungSuccess »

Let me get this, a teacher gets £7.6 p/h and a Tube Driver £26.53.... and they want more. Wait, let that sink in a bit...

"How much a newly-qualified tube driver makes per hour, compared to other careers
Career Teacher Firefighter Nurse Policeman Tube driver
£/hr worked £7.6 £9.66 £11.12 £11.2 £26.53

"Driving a Tube is easy and not worth £50,000 a year. Let's sack the lot of them
Tube drivers have been taking the mickey out of Londoners for far too many years and it's time we called their bluff.."

Let's sack the lot of them..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -them.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have your say, vent it here...
NanoNano

Re: Are Tube drivers really worth a bigger pay rise?

Post by NanoNano »

I think they are playing with the figures... I know there are a lot of teachers on this site, so sorry if I offend, but they do not earn minimum wage (£7.60/hr). A quick search for jobs shows much more than that.

However, I do agree that tube drivers need a reality check (though I thought some of the extra money was due to the chances of them having to drive into some poor suicidal soul).
copella

Post by copella »

Tube strike isn't over wages, don't get mislead by right wing propaganda.

Read this instead
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... s-answered" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

Strikers rarely need a good reason to go on strike, as I know from personal experience ... but your original post implied it was over wages and the wages quoted were misleading.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

LOL, cos the Guardian is going to give a balanced view isn't it? Any more than any conservative rag!
copella

Post by copella »

Lol indeed but might be based more on fact than pure lazy journalism.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

Yamin151 wrote:LOL, cos the Guardian is going to give a balanced view isn't it? Any more than any conservative rag!
LOL- very true.
It just makes me so annoyed that they hold us to ransom. As a midwife I have had to work unsociable hours. I have no sympathy!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Most annoying is the massive national coverage it gets when its such a local issue! Those of us out in the sticks really couldn't care less ...

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

copella wrote:Lol indeed but might be based more on fact than pure lazy journalism.

I'm not sure that's true! Both sides employ lazy journalism, I don't think that is the more likely scenario of either right wing or left wing rags!

And I'm with the midwives here, and nurses (my dh is one), no pay rise, in fact a pay cut over the last several years, proposed changes to pay for unsocial hours, and changes to pension, all of which needed for the good of the country, but for the tube drivers to then take the mick like this is unacceptable. Chancers.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:Most annoying is the massive national coverage it gets when its such a local issue! Those of us out in the sticks really couldn't care less ...

JD

Actually, I'd quite like a tube train to my one sons more distant school, how useful, whizzing under the worcestershire farmland, avoiding all the tractors!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now