Test Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cazien

Test Day

Post by cazien »

I know we will probably be receiving info about the test day but I just wondering if anyone could explain what will actually happen on the day? DD has opted to sit test at HSFG, so would appreciate any details of last year's experience. Any info, particularly on the following, might help settle DD nerves :)

Do DDs go straight in upon arrival?
Are they allocated a room with fellow pupils from their Junior School?
Do they have their break outside?
Are they given a warning when they are close to the finish times?

I guess it will probably be a little chaotic at dropping off/collecting time :lol: Would it be easier to arrange a location to meet DD after or will we be told where to go?

Not at all stressing - honest!!!

Hope everyone who wants to sit test has registered - registration closes on Friday :shock:
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Test Day

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

cazien wrote:I know we will probably be receiving info about the test day but I just wondering if anyone could explain what will actually happen on the day? DD has opted to sit test at HSFG, so would appreciate any details of last year's experience. Any info, particularly on the following, might help settle DD nerves :)

Do DDs go straight in upon arrival?
Are they allocated a room with fellow pupils from their Junior School?
Do they have their break outside?
Are they given a warning when they are close to the finish times?

I guess it will probably be a little chaotic at dropping off/collecting time :lol: Would it be easier to arrange a location to meet DD after or will we be told where to go?

Not at all stressing - honest!!!

Hope everyone who wants to sit test has registered - registration closes on Friday :shock:
I can't believe it's been a year since we went through this.

Dd did her test at HSFG a few years ago and ds did his at Tommies last year. On both occasions you are met at the gate by helpers who you leave them with - you don't go into the school premises. I believe you are told which gate to go to in the "joining letter".

On both occasions they were kept together as much as possible with school friends. She only had one other schoolmate and she was sat by her. I'm pretty sure they are in classrooms rather than everyone in the main hall.

Both times they had indoor break of about 15 minutes. They have to take a snack and drink with them, and she will have the break between the two papers.

Yes they do have a warning (5 mins I think).

All of the kids on both occasions the kids were herded back to the drop off point - with HSFG being back at the gate. Yes it's chaos but you just spot each other in the crowd.

I actually think it's worse for the parents. One thing's for sure - it will be the longest couple of hours of your life.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Stressed? has covered most things. I can only think of two things to add.

Don't try to arrange an alternative meeting point away from the crowd. IIRC, they aren't allowed out of the gate at the end of the morning until an adult has appeared to take responsibility for them.

The "sitting with people from their primary school" doesn't apply to those who get extra time (eg for being dyslexic) who are all together in a separate room, so that they don't have different timings going on in the same place.

Hope that helps. Good luck to your DD. :)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

DebsB wrote:Stressed? has covered most things. I can only think of two things to add.

Don't try to arrange an alternative meeting point away from the crowd. IIRC, they aren't allowed out of the gate at the end of the morning until an adult has appeared to take responsibility for them.

The "sitting with people from their primary school" doesn't apply to those who get extra time (eg for being dyslexic) who are all together in a separate room, so that they don't have different timings going on in the same place.

Hope that helps. Good luck to your DD. :)
Spot on Debs. Just a case of following the herd. Ref separate room for extra time, just to reassure anyone, they do get to meet up with pals during a break between the two papers so it isn't a biggie.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

At HSFG the girls are in classrooms in groups of about 20 I think. The staff meeting the girls on the gate were lovely and tried really hard to put them at ease. There are also some older girls there to look after them which is nice. They need a snack and a drink, but I don't remember them needing to take anything else. For pick up, parents had to wait at the gate for the girls. Parking is a bit chaotic (busier than normal school run) so leave plenty of time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now