Rugby boots - idiots guide please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dibsie

Rugby boots - idiots guide please

Post by Dibsie »

DS will be going into year 7 in September and will be playing rugby for the first time. School uniform list just states 'rugby boots' but I understand there's different types of studs. Can anyone enlighten me please? This is such unfamiliar territory for DH & I!!
quasimodo

Re: Rugby boots - idiots guide please

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/blog/rugby/h ... gby-boots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to confess although it was 30 years ago when I last played I used football boots playing Rugby league for my school team and playing Rugby Union at sixth form college and at University.I never used metal studs.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I would suggest the cheepest hybrid boots. You can use the for all field positions and also for football. Their feet are growing so fast in year 7 I wouldn't fork out too much.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need the approved studs for rugby - any sports shop will guide you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

If your DS hasn't played before I would go for the cheaper end of the scale (the price range can be huge) but please ensure you get him approved rugby studs, as Guest55 said a sports shop will be able to advise you. Also make sure he tries them on with his rugby socks as often these have quite "thick" feet :D
Dibsie

Post by Dibsie »

Thank you all. I shall hit the shops at the weekend!
KB

Post by KB »

+1 for being sure you have rugby studs and not buying anything expensive. If he doesn't get into playing in teams etc he might only wear them a dozen times before they are outgrown. In year 7 they really don't need anything fancy even if they are playing in the school team.
doodles

Post by doodles »

+1

On the other hand if he really gets into it then next year up the budget to whatever you can afford - if they are being worn 4 or 5 times a week and getting wet a lot then, although it pains me to have to pay it, it's money well spent.

(Just off to arrange a small mortgage for 3 pairs here :? )
Webbol

Post by Webbol »

Agreed. Even Jonny Wilkinson wore Predator football boots with metal rugby studs swapped in. Until you know his position (and even long after- my son plays on the wing for school) a pair of cheap football boots with removable studs is perfect. Then you just buy the metal studs from the rugby section and swap them over with the little plastic key they come with. Hope he enjoys it!
Dibsie

Post by Dibsie »

doodles wrote:+1

On the other hand if he really gets into it then next year up the budget to whatever you can afford - if they are being worn 4 or 5 times a week and getting wet a lot then, although it pains me to have to pay it, it's money well spent.

(Just off to arrange a small mortgage for 3 pairs here :? )
Oh goodness, I'd better start saving now!

Thanks all :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now