Shopping list for Tommies please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stressed?Moi?

Shopping list for Tommies please

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Just trying to get organised (for a change!). Does anyone know if a list of requirements has been issued for Tommies yet? I was just thinking that we haven't heard anything about laptops, stationery, books, etc. Every year at primary school, and to start with at dd's senior school, a list has been issued by the schools for items that are going to be needed, so I just wondered when/if that happens. Also what size are the laptops? Are they iPad/tablet size? Cheers.
MedievalBabe

Re: Shopping list for Tommies please

Post by MedievalBabe »

They need a ruler, protractor, pencils, colouring pencils, blue, or black writing pens and green pen for marking, scientific calculator and compass. This has come from DS who is sat next to me.

No need for laptop or iPad to take to school as the boys use the computer suites at school, but will need access at home with Internet access for homework. Also as a parent you will get log in details for the parent part of the website once term starts.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Laptops? :shock: :shock: Do any of our grammars require them to buy laptops?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Thanks Medievalbabe - very helpful.

On an open day, I seem to remember a lad from Crypt saying they had to have them but I can't be sure. It was something like you are loaned them and pay back by instalments. I also thought I read that Tommies have a laptop loan scheme. Must be dreaming!

Thanks
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

As far as I know it is only Crypt who have laptops, they have to be the ones provided by the school which you pay for in instalments. When I pass the boys queuing at the bus stops in the mornings the Crypt boys all appear to have laptop bags.

At STR DS has not needed a laptop so really don't worry. He regularly goes to the ICT suite before school to do work or at lunchtime and then he has access to a computer at home which he uses. He frequently starts work at school and then completes it at home as he can access the school system online and so all of his work.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That's really helpful MB thanks - it's one less thing to worry about!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Hi all. I'm still a bit confused about the Rugby mouth guard on the Tommies kit list. A mum at Crypt tells me that someone comes and measures the children up at Crypt for theirs and the same company deals with Tommies. Is this correct or should I supply one for day one at school? I'm not sure when DS needs one for. Should I be sending the sports gear with DS on day one? Does it work like primary school in that they leave PE kit in school or do they take it on the days they need it? It'll all be old hat soon but for the moment I have lots of little questions. :?
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

We just got a boil mouth guard from a well known sports shop, but we knew DS was not going to be a big rugby player. If you know your DS is likely to be a big player then you will probably want a properly fitted one from the dentist or the company otherwise save your money.

In regards to games DS says that you could easily have sport on the first day so you need to be prepared, they can take their kit in and leave it in their locker if necessary for the next lesson. Also he has looked at the available timetable online and some will have games on Friday.

On the first day they won't have last lesson as they all go into the hall so they can find out how the day has gone.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thank you MB, that's brilliant. I will probably go with that. I can always invest better in the unlikely event he takes to rugby (tho I hope he will give it a good go). I will send in some PE kit too for day one, then. Im assuming they won't penalise DS if I send in the wrong combo of kit to begin with. Im thinking navy shorts, white Tshirt with the coloured neck and trainers.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Can anyone tell me if you can pay for the canteen online. With dd at Ribston I just "load" her account at the beginning of term and we don't have to think about cash. It also lets me see online what she has been buying which has been fine with her (no horrible surprises because she's sensible!), but I can't see ds making similar healthy decisions :lol: .

Also, what colour games socks do they wear? He currently has long black sports socks he used for football but it doesn't seem to say it anywhere that I can see. Can they wear coloured trainers (he saw a lovely blue colour but I didn't want to risk it).

Many thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now