JHGS Sports uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

JHGS Sports uniform

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Wonder if anyone can help? JH has a long list of "compulsory" sports uniform, but just wondering if it is all compulsory? Stupid question I know but it seems a very long list (longer than other GSs) and DS is not into sport so just wondering if there are any "shortcuts" we can make? Thanks for any advice.
southbucks3

Re: JHGS Sports uniform

Post by southbucks3 »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Wonder if anyone can help? JH has a long list of "compulsory" sports uniform, but just wondering if it is all compulsory? Stupid question I know but it seems a very long list (longer than other GSs) and DS is not into sport so just wondering if there are any "shortcuts" we can make? Thanks for any advice.

You don't need the little running vest thing, the three pairs of trainers are because they have top notch astro and sports hall and want to keep it that way, they can get away with just one pair of black shorts as long as no zips, but rugby shorts can easily be bought from second hand uniform. The boys enjoy a very very diverse sports programme and have lots of after school sports clubs too for all ability and all taste....your boy may be surprised and really get stuck in, he should definitely try anyway, so they do wear it all eventually.
Label it all very well, label the pe shirt actually on the fabric, along the hem or inside neck as they do get lost/mixed up frequently.
Make sure he has a locker.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the advice. Which is the PE shirt by the way- is that the short sleeved polo? My head is spinning at the moment trying to find everything. I saw something about boots and interchangeable studs for football/rugby - is that an idea? I am hoping DS will get into it but he is not a great sportsman and only likes tennis and table tennis at the moment. And one more question - the list says white plimsoles can't have black or other coloured soles. I can only see ones with beige soles, so is that going to be alright?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Pe shirt is white
Rugby shirt is black
Trainers with non marking soles are normally the hard beige soles, normally hitec or dunlop, others leave rubbery marks on polished floors.
You can get interchangeable studs, but if you can find a pair of footy boots with nice round studs, even if they have the little moulded shorter triangles in between, they are fine, my son prefers these so in fine weather wears them instead of rugby boots as he is on the wing so likes light boots to run fast, he has checked with school coaches, club coaches and several rfu refs over the years. He wears them for club footy and rugby when the ground is not too wet. They are far more concerned about worn studs with sharp edges or sharp "blades" or the nasty mini metal capped studs that are the latest swizz.
He can play tennis all year round after school unless it's changed with "luv tennis" group at a v reasonable extra cost. Most other clubs are free.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks - so those beige souled trainers are fine... I thought they wanted white soles :oops:

So I just need one pair of football boots with interchangeable studs - will go googling to try and make sense of everything you said about boots/studs as I am clueless. Thanks for your quick response.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you only want to buy one pair of boots, get rugby boots - these have "safety studs" for rugby and can also safely be worn for football but the other way round is slightly more complicated! you don't want to mess about with changing studs - it sounds easy but when the boots are muddy, no matter how careful you are, inevitably mud gets into the thread and then you've had it. The number of rugby studs can vary, depending on the position your boy plays - sb3s son is fast and on the wing so needs less studs than a big prop who needs lots of grip, for example. A basic light pair of rugby boots would be ok for football.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Thanks - so those beige souled trainers are fine... I thought they wanted white soles :oops:

So I just need one pair of football boots with interchangeable studs - will go googling to try and make sense of everything you said about boots/studs as I am clueless. Thanks for your quick response.
h

Beige souled sounds a bit like my dh.
Yes, don't worry, I was a bit baffled by it at first beige or white are both fine as long as "non marking" beige cheaper as white basketball trainers are on trend.

As kcc says choosing safe studs can be tricky if you don't know what your looking for, she is right as your son isn't a big lover of either sport he probably doesn't care too much about speed or being able to use the point or sides of his boot for footy skills, so just grab a cheap pair of rugby boots for both to start with, if he picks a sport buy what you need then.

As an aside, we are due to get one of the best hockey teachers in the area, so watch out, you may be stung for a hockey stick in spring if his enthusiasm encourages your lad.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

southbucks3 wrote: As an aside, we are due to get one of the best hockey teachers in the area, so watch out, you may be stung for a hockey stick in spring if his enthusiasm encourages your lad.
Oooh we have a new Director of Hockey too so it should be a good season!

OP re non sporty sons - my son (not at JHGS) isn't sporty but found he loved hockey when he started secondary- hockey is very big around here.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks, guys. I guess from what I can find the indoor shoes have to be Hi-tec squash and as he is about the same size as me I don't have to worry about any growth spurt as I can always wear them! And as for speed, lol I wish :wink: so one pair of rugby boots will do! Thanks for the heads up on Hockey - another sport he will probably hate but I always live in hope :lol: Now I am just confused about shorts - what is the difference between rugby and football shorts (and why do you need a pocket for rugby???) Is the fashion for longer shorts?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Rugby shorts are short, less to grab, have a pocket for gum shield, but everyone tucks it in their socks, footy shorts are longer and can have zipped pockets, rugby can't because it can scratch.
Rugby shorts are heavy duty cotton or polyester as they get tugged around and footy shorts are light weight.
Just buy a pair of ok quality black sports shorts if he isn't likely to be on the teams he won't need special shorts.
You will need the rugby shirt though, it's used for footy and hockey too in winter and the pe top I'm afraid as it s crested.
By the end of the academic year they relax about non marking trainers as the hall has a good polish over summer, so if he goes up a size over spring/summer don't panic as cricket,rounders,athletics all outside in trainers.
I will await your questions on winter skins. :wink: