11+ in 3 and a half weeks! - Help please!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
omg11+latemummy

11+ in 3 and a half weeks! - Help please!

Post by omg11+latemummy »

OMG - Where did the time go?

I had no idea preparation for the Transfer test was done so far in advance. It seems as though I may have missed the boat a little. My first child is sitting the test this year and I wanted to help him along the way a little as the test is sat so close to the beginning of term I thought a little prep would help. Little did I know he should've been being tutored for months even years before this date.

I need help, (desperately) how can I prepare him for the test in three weeks! Any advice, hints or tips on how I can do this I would be forever in your debt. My son is bright boy and I think he could have a chance to make it into a Grammar School.

I'm just off to WH Smiths to see what I can buy to help me coach him, best practice papers, subject areas to concentrate on etc. Any best buys or recommended resources??

Thanks in advance!
kal12003

Re: 11+ in 3 and a half weeks! - Help please!

Post by kal12003 »

In which area will he be taking the test?
omg11+latemummy

Post by omg11+latemummy »

Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

What do you recommend?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Maybe start with some of these

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/CEM-11-PLUS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also look in the Bucks section of the forum.

I can move this thread to Bucks if that will help.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I think the CGP CEM papers would be the most helpful. The timing in the 11 plus is very tight and the CGP papers help a child to see how short a time they have to complete as many questions as possible. Speed is of the essence. I would also concentrate on teaching your child how to do some of the Verbal reasoning questions and take them through the logic of the Non verbal reasoning so that it is not all too much of a surprise. The CEM test is not meant to be tutorable but in my opinion the above would help enormously.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I agree. CGP papers to understand the format. Don't panic,it's not like a GCSE where you have to have revised the content,you just need to know how they want you to go about working out each type of question. Going over times tables, long division /multiplication, working out areas of different shapes etc will all help. Most important read the questions carefully! Stating the obvious but easy under pressure to keep doing the same thing ie looking for antonyms when question has switched to synonyms etc. Good luck!
Ess30

Post by Ess30 »

Do timed papers. Many kids have an issue with timing - either rushing or being too slow. A couple of dry runs can calm them.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi, you could have a look at this little lots of cem familiarisation papers.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... on#p439497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would you mind if I ask if you attended the transfer test parents talk, normally held in June and if your school ever address the 11+ at parents evenings etc. Simply because one of the issues local state school parents have is that there is such disparity between 11+ support from one state primary school to another and then particularly compared to private schools in the area. You are not obliged to answer of course, just building a general picture.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

CGP test packs and the study guide for NVR is good especially if your DC has not yet quite grasped nets and cubes.
First past the post for verbal reasoning.
Bond 10 min tests work towards completing 2 tests in 10 mins go over the errors and work out why the error is not correct.
You will hear reading reading reading but it is reading fast makes the difference I think.
Wouldn't get too disheartened by what vocab has or hasn't been learned - there seems to be no boundaries on the level of vocab tested so just keep plugging away adding to vocab knowledge and recall of its meaning up to the day before. There are quite a few lists on this site.
Don't stress about scores in practice tests you do at home...
Good luck ....
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I have pm'd you check your messages.