Well Done Malala

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blitz

Well Done Malala

Post by Blitz »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34016407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lovely news!
tiffinboys

Re: Well Done Malala

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, very good achievement. A village girl risked her life and despite such an injury, getting education fighting heavy odds. Well done, Malala.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Good work, Malala. Well done.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Brilliant news - she is an inspiration.
um

Post by um »

She survived severe head injuries and numerous operations too. Very pleased to hear the news :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I read this in the paper. I read it out to DS1 after checking he knew who she was (he reeled off chapter and verse and put me into the shade!) and his comment summed it up nicely, in the way only a 14 year old can, "Fair play!"
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Its fantastic results and shows the high standard of education in both Pakistan and now at the independent school in the West Midlands. She was 18 when she did her GCSE's for those that don't know.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I did wonder why both GCSE and IGCSE Maths, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

sbarnes wrote:Its fantastic results and shows the high standard of education in both Pakistan...
Do you mean that the standard of education was okay at whichever school Malala attended? Or for those who have access to education? I get that it's a developing country with its own share of difficulties, but it's fair to balance your comment with others:
Over 5.1 million primary school-aged children are out of school in Pakistan – the third highest number of out-of-school children in the world - and 63% of them are girls.

While the Pakistan government has legislated for education for all, education remains drastically under-funded at 2.4% of GDP, a decrease from 2.7% in the preceding year – despite a government commitment of 4%. At this rate of funding and progress, there is no way Pakistan will achieve its commitment to education for all.
http://www.campaignforeducation.org/en/ ... n-pakistan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also read UNESCO's view: http://www.unesco.org/education/efa/kno ... an_2.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some kids are bound to experience a decent standard of education in Pakistan, but many have little or no access to education of any standard...
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I will explain it in even simpler terms, she was educated in both Pakistan and Birmingham. Both can take some credit.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now