Admission to Independent School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Debbie4625

Admission to Independent School

Post by Debbie4625 »

My son is due to sit the Forest exam tomorrow. I have had no dealing with independent schools so its all new to me. We've had the interview which seemed ok. I really want to know what pass rate you need to get and how do they determine who to admit. I know they will take all the prep children first they go to Forest but do they then look at children from other prep schools first before looking at children from state schools. Thanks in advance
cindy

Post by cindy »

No, they will treat them all the equally, and according to the score and
report from the previous school. There is no benifit in having come from another prep school.

The school have been told to expect 500 cars tomorrow, so I assume that
there are more than a few taking it, maybe 250boys and the same amount of girls for about 50/60 places.

Personally, I think it must be very much easier to apply for spaces in other years,
than at this natural period of progression, age 11

In my experience private schools look selective, but they are a business and bottoms on seats is what brings the money in. It is only when a private school has more applicants that places that the stiffer selection is more apparent.

Good luck for tomorrow

Cindy :D
zorro

St Albans

Post by zorro »

My son sat Haberdashers Boys exam- 600 applicants for 100 places! I do think coming from a prep school is an advantage as they know the system and have been taught in small classes are probably all bright as opposed to state school with classes of 30 and all of different ability.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now