Computing sees the biggest jump in entries

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catseye

Computing sees the biggest jump in entries

Post by Catseye »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... tries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a vested interest in Computing although ,I myself, am computer illiterate but my son wants to be computer scientist

Prior to my son's wish to pursue this career I cared little about it(like most, I fancied him going into medicine :oops: ) but now I think any school that is not developing fully fledged departments in Computer Science (not ICT) are behind the curve, programming and coding is essential to our future .

What I worry about is that most of the State sector are not investing in this vital field and doing young people a serious disservice !

what do you think?
scary mum

Re: Computing sees the biggest jump in entries

Post by scary mum »

Finding it hard to get past the comments about most people wanting their children to study medicine. I don't know anyone who would want their child to study medicine, maybe I know too many doctors. I don't "want" my child to study anything other than something they are interested in.
In answer to your question, most schools around here do computer science. Sorry, not very helpful.
scary mum
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I'm encouraged that my dd's school have started to offer computing as well as ICT. They started an after school coding club run by the ICT teacher and a visiting programmer which my dd has loved and she seems to have some aptitude for it. Dd will be is the first cohort of students taking GCSE computing at her school. Her interest has also encouraged her to work to improve her maths since I pointed out she needed a good maths grade and probably A level maths if she really wants to persue a career in computing; it seems to have done the trick :wink:
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

scary mum wrote:Finding it hard to get past the comments about most people wanting their children to study medicine. I don't know anyone who would want their child to study medicine, maybe I know too many doctors. I don't "want" my child to study anything other than something they are interested in.
In answer to your question, most schools around here do computer science. Sorry, not very helpful.
My OH is a consultant surgeon in a teaching hospital and I myself spend most of my professional time defending doctors at the GMC(and helping them and their families coming to term with their livelihoods being destroyed by a very litigious society , so I know more than most about the pressures about being a doctor/surgeon) :roll:

Anyway, most Universities still do not require computing/computer science A levels despite there are some Oxbridge colleges that prefer C/S over Physics for computing courses, Maths and FM is essential since computing is a mathematical subject with a high degree of applied maths, logic (essentially a puzzle solving discipline )
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now