Not a lot of choice in girls grammar schools in Croydon area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mittleme

Not a lot of choice in girls grammar schools in Croydon area

Post by Mittleme »

as we all are aware some of us living in Croydon are, we only have Non such and Wallington as the nearest Grammar schools to me.
a bit worrying though?

i think Boys have a lot more choice than girls

anyone have experience of their DD applying to other Grammar schools apart from these two?

are we even going to be considered in schools like Tiffins? as its not worth wasting ones time applying if there is no chance of consideration when my postcode does not fall in the designated area.

any one has their DD attending Grammars that are a bit far from home?

Please share your experiences ?
tiffinboys

Re: Not a lot of Choice in Girls Grammar Schools for Croydo

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps this post should be in Surrey area.

Yes, no point in attempting for Tiffin Girls, if you are not in the dedignated admission area.

Other schools you could try are Newstead Wood, Tonbridge Grammar open places, or even Henrietta Barnett if your dd could travel that far.
mgm

Post by mgm »

Is it ok if DS travels 35 miles by train for the school?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No it is not a good idea in my opinion. The query was what other options one has ..... And the response is also qualified by 'if'. Besides, some may be able to relocate.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Whilst the exact admission numbers can vary each year there are still roughly the same number of grammar spaces open to boys and girls, as WHSG and Nonsuch each take 210 per year, so off the top of my head I think it is 420 girls spaces and 435 boys. To be honest I think that it is the girls independent schools that are missing, not the grammars. Depending on where in the borough you are then Newstead Woods may also be an option (plenty of girls travel by bus from Sanderstead/Selsdon). And if you live near East Croydon then Tonbridge Girls school is also an option. I don't think that the transport links to Tiffin make it a feasible daily journey, given that most girls who pass Tiffin would have also passed Wally/Nonsuch, but no doubt someone tries it each year.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Is there a school bus for Newstead Wood & if so where abouts in Croydon are pick up points ?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Girls get to Addington Village via tram or bus, then the 353 to Orpington. Lewis Travel also do a minibus from Croydon (or at least they have done - depends on demand).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now