When they leave ......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

When they leave ......

Post by Snowdrops »

O.k, it's a very questionable newspaper, but oh my, this article is spot on (and it relates to any chikd, male or female!).

Get your tissues out ready :cry:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Re: When they leave ......

Post by scary mum »

It's all so true, DD is counting down the days and is raring to go. One of my strongest memories from when my mother dropped me at university is being desperate for her to go so that I could start the next phase of my life. The poor woman didn't show any sign of upset and I was never really sure if she missed me. DD will know that I will miss her, but I will try to be bright & breezy when I drop her, although I'm dreading it.
scary mum
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

This one struck a nerve here as well - even with the American slant!

http://www.theonion.com/article/moms-fe ... nele-51060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

"I’ll save my tears for the car journey home, and remember the wise words of Terry Pratchett, in his fantasy novel, A Hat Full of Sky: ‘Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours".

Oh I love that line from the first article :cry:

Even though ds1 is 2 years away from Uni and really (for financial reasons) wants to stay at home...it is a but of shock to see how quickly his childhood has passed by.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

um wrote:I’ll save my tears for the car journey home, and remember the wise words of Terry Pratchett, in his fantasy novel, A Hat Full of Sky: "Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours".
... beautiful words and yes (my DC only about to start Y12, but we all know how quickly time goes) the tears began to flow when reading just these lines :cry: it's going to be a nightmare in two years' time. Sending out virtual hugs to all those with DCs off to university this September X x x
Heartmum x x x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Just messaged my sister with the Terry Pratchett quote, she was in tears too!
Perfect, sums it up brilliantly.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not sure about the first bit of the Terry Pratchett, quote - and there are places whose 'new colours' might cause the venturer to decide to give them a wide berth instead of returning :lol: . I must admit, I sometimes find it rather depressing that so many people in our neck of the woods have never lived anywhere else (although we chose to move here and I had previously chosen to move to London from not a million miles from where DS1 will be moving to in less than three weeks' time, so logically, there is no reason why they shouldn't have chosen not to move away in the first place).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now