Roughly what % in mock tests for pass? KEVIGS Louth

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LincsMumTo3

Roughly what % in mock tests for pass? KEVIGS Louth

Post by LincsMumTo3 »

My daughter is doing the 11+ exam for King Edward vi in Louth.
I know all schools are different, I've tried to find out but still not sure. Shes been doing practice papers and wondering what kind of % would be a pass. They only do 1 verbal and 1 non verbal both papers are out of 80 I believe with a standardised score of 220 required. But wondering what kind of % in her practice papers should she be achieving.
She's starting to panic and worry and it's beginning to show in some of her practice papers :/
Thank you in advance
Alex

Re: Roughly what % in mock tests for pass? KEVIGS Louth

Post by Alex »

It is not possible to be very accurate about what sort of percentage will be required to get the standardised score of 220 as this will inevitably vary a bit from year to year because of changes in the cohort and the individual exams and because of the age of the individual child. with that caveat, in the past people have estimated that an overall score of 75%+ should usually do it.

It is difficult to know what effect the changes in the tests this year will have. Is there any published information that the exams will have 80 questions? This is not information that I have been given. In the past there were 100 questions in the VR and 65 in the NVR - however this may well change this year because of the change in format from Standard to Multiple Choice. Generally more time is given for the multiple choice format, presumably because it takes longer to mark a separate answer sheet than to write directly onto a question paper.

All of the Consortium schools use the same tests so the score to achieve the pass is the same wherever you are (though a couple of schools don't use the "normal" standardisation).
LincsMumTo3

Post by LincsMumTo3 »

KE had sent practice papers to be completed by those doing the exam and had to send everything back to them. It had with a different layout to those she's been doing at home, it had 80 questions in 50 minutes for verbal and 20 questions in 10 mins x4 for non verbal. Maybe they sent an old paper for them as apparently it's the first time they've done it as my daughters school is just outside the catchment area.
Thanks for your reply :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

They do say that the practice papers are supposed to reflect the real tests.....it will be interesting to see if that turns out to be the case. All the very best to your DC and all the others taking the tests this year.
JRM

Post by JRM »

The GL practice papers have 80 questions in 50 minutes. this has been my biggest worry as that is more generous timing wise than the oft quoted 30 seconds per question. I got my DD to do a couple in 40 minutes to try and up her speed. That way if there are only 80 on the day it will be a nice surprise rather then a panic.

Not long now, then it will all be over....
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
LincsMumTo3

Post by LincsMumTo3 »

Yeah, we hadn't even considered grammar school until about 8 months ago when her primary school suggested it. We are currently torn but also in a good position...the grammar school is a bit of a travel (20-25 mins in the car) and if for whatever reason she doesn't get into KE, the secondary school she was going to go to is an outstanding school with very good results.
We are not 100% sure which school to put down so taking it each step at a time. Her friends are wanting to go to the grammar school which in turn is making her want to go there too :/ told her lets just see how we get on with the 11+ first.
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

They used to say about 75% to get in, but now with more children applying need to be aiming for 80% at least ( for in catchment area). I was told to be certain of getting a place you need to be in the high 80's to low 90,s. A friend of mine does tutoring in the Lincs area, for children who want to go to several of the different Lincs grammar schools.

I would say out of catchment for most Lincs grammar schools, you would be looking at needing a higher standardised score than the 220 needed to pass. The most common scores for 11 plus seem to range from 220 to 235 on average, with a few then going into the 240s and higher.

The children whom my friend has taught for the last few years, who were offered a place straight away- without a waiting list, were scoring in the high 80's in practise tests, prior to the real exams.

Caistor Grammar school, out of catchment, you would need scores in the 90 percent bracket.(This is based on what a mum told me, who's daughter got into Caistor out of catchment).

All this information is purely based on what I have been told via my teacher friend. She basically said, the higher score you can get , the better. I suppose this would only relate to schools that go on score order only, or have it as part of the criteria.
Last edited by Minniemooface on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Some schools only require the pupil to reach the 220 marks and then allocate on distance. Others have a priority area and an outer area and allocate on score order within these. One allocates purely on score order. Some schools have a history of oversubscription and if they allocate on score order the outer area score required can go quite high - but it tends to vary from year to year and I don't think that overall the trend is ever upwards, though with rising pupil numbers that may well happen.

The standardisation process is done across the whole of the 11+ areas of Lincolnshire - I think that apart from the natural variations you get from year to year (you do get "stronger" and "weaker" cohorts) , I haven't heard that children need a raw score substantially higher than they used to - but if anyone knows different please let us all know.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Forgot to say - Caistor has different tests so cannot really be compared with the other schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now