Pass test - get place?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

Pass test - get place?

Post by Eccentric »

I was told today that the new 'rules' say that if a child passes the transfer test in Bucks that they automatically get a place at the Grammar school of their choice regardless of whether the school is over capacity or not. Is this true? If so how on earth are the more popular schools going to cope with numbers? Does this mean that anyone OOC can take places too irrespective of how far they live away? iF it is true, It doesn't make sense.
Guest55

Re: Pass test - get place?

Post by Guest55 »

What 'new rules', I wonder? I've not seen any changes in the admissions policies or the procedure.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I don't know about them either. Just what I was told. I am not saying it is right. I just wondered if anyone else had heard anything?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Eccentric wrote:I was told today that the new 'rules' say that if a child passes the transfer test in Bucks that they automatically get a place at the Grammar school of their choice regardless of whether the school is over capacity or not. Is this true?
No, it isn't true. As the test approaches, it's silly season for stupid rumours like this. :roll:

The Admissions Policies for all the grammar schools were consulted upon and finalised in the spring. They cannot change in the interim (unless it is just to correct an error), and they are published, as they have to be by law, on each school's website for all to read.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

It did sound a bit strange.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Eccentric wrote:It did sound a bit strange.
Or wishful thinking, of course?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

It was actually someone who works at the school.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Eccentric wrote:It was actually someone who works at the school.
They're often the worst! I had a PM along similar lines from a parent who had been told by someone (who had allegedly been told by someone working at a Bucks grammar school) that "OoC students needed to score over 90% this year to get a place because there were hundreds of extra in-catchment applications this year".

A few minor points wrong with that:

1. OoC children need to score 121, just like everyone else.

2. Where did all those "hundreds" of extra children in catchment come from, when the number of feeder schools hasn't changed?

3. Applications for school places aren't in yet!

4. Applications for school places do not go directly to the GSs. No one at the school will know the official numbers applying until around January, when Admissions send out the preference numbers.

Every year ... :roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Then along comes the one about having to put a school at the top of your list to have any hope of getting it. A new one to me is that first come first serve for primary schools, so a colleague was going to stay up until midnight to get her application in first "to be sure of a place".
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:A new one to me is that first come first serve for primary schools, so a colleague was going to stay up until midnight to get her application in first "to be sure of a place".
Oh, dear, I really do wonder if some people can read?

I did away with the old "Myths & Legends" Sticky after we moved from GL to CEM, but I fear it is time to resurrect it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now