Starting in year 8 experiences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

Starting in year 8 experiences

Post by Eccentric »

Hi all,
I promised that I would keep you updated on DDs progress in her new school. So I will post on this thread as we proceed:

We went to collect the starter pack yesterday from the new school and the staff could not have been more welcoming, such a contrast to the start at the last school. 3 members of staff came out to greet us, they spoke to DD directly, were chatty and smiley. Without asking they reassured her about starting saying that there are 10 others starting in her year as well so she will not be alone. Dd came away with smiles as broad as the Grand Canyon.
I am impressed with the starter pack, especially the fact that students have to sign an agreement.there was lots of information for students in the pack too, which made dd feel included. I am also impressed with the suggestion that there are no phones and iPads in bedrooms late into the evening. We have a no technology in bedrooms full stop, rule in our house and this backs this up nicely.
All in all a good welcome to being a part of the school community. First impressions count.
Dollydripmat

Re: Starting in year 8 experiences

Post by Dollydripmat »

Sounds like a good experience so far. Good luck with her first week in September. I'm sure she will be fine, at least there is 10 of them in the same boat. My DD starts in sept Y7 and she is really excited....me I'm a nervous wreck...just hoping it goes well for her as she is very excited!!! Keep us posted on her progress. Dollyxxxx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So lovely to hear this having followed your previous experiences. She must be so excited. Ten is a great number, no rush to make new friends when there are nine others in the same boat. Any chance of you meeting up beforehand. Perhaps you could try and organise a picnic for the ten of them so you can meet the other parents and dd the other students.

I organise a picnic every year for new joiners at my dd's school and it makes a real difference that there are already some faces they know when they get there. DG
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Great excitement in our house today. School uniform fitted, purchased and tried on at home numerous times for grandparents, friends and neighbours - very smart. Dd's frame so narrow that the blazer isn't exactly fitted. Had choice of sleeves too short or jacket too wide :lol: Swimming in PE kit (not literally.)
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Great first day today. Apparently all the other pupils and the teachers were very nice to Dd today and she fitted right in. t is obviously too early to tell how things will go in the long run but I had already had tears at this stage in the last school at the beginning of year 7. "Sigh of relief."
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

So pleased for you and your dd. Sounds like it has been worth it :D
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Fantastic. Really pleased all going well. :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Homework was a bit of a shock last night 3 pieces at 40 minutes each and it did take a good 40 minutes for 2 of them. We are used to having an hour and a half a night but the extra one is pushing it a bit. Dd fine about it, but I felt a bit sorry for her. She had supper and then worked straight through until she went to bed.
Otherwise all is still good, she seems to be starting to get to know people and seems happy still.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Gosh that seems alot. My DC doesn't ever have an hour and a half of homework. How are they supposed to fit in extra-curricular activities?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

2 hours in Y8 in week one seems very excessive... :shock: Even my Y10 hasn't had that workload yet....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now