Anyone DIY'd for both old style CSSE test, and new one?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

abraham

Anyone DIY'd for both old style CSSE test, and new one?

Post by abraham »

Hi Everyone,

DS1 took the old style test in 2013, and started at WHSB 2014. He had a tutor (not actually for 11+ to start with (it was complicated!), but that was how it went in the last few months). Just about to start the journey again with DS2 and hoping to (mainly) DIY this time. DS2 will sit the test in 2016 for 2017 intake (so due to move into Yr 5 in Sept this year). I am aware the test has changed since DS1 took it, as his was the last year to sit the old style test - and wondering if anyone else has experience of DIY'ing through both test types? Should I just be doing general study support activities with DS2, or are there more specific things I should be focusing on. Obvs., with DS1, VR was a major component to practise - but assuming it's not such a big deal anymore?

Any thoughts/advice etc. would be much appreciated!
pinkrabbit38

Re: Anyone DIY'd for both old style CSSE test, and new one?

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

abraham wrote:Hi Everyone,

DS1 took the old style test in 2013, and started at WHSB 2014. He had a tutor (not actually for 11+ to start with (it was complicated!), but that was how it went in the last few months). Just about to start the journey again with DS2 and hoping to (mainly) DIY this time. DS2 will sit the test in 2016 for 2017 intake (so due to move into Yr 5 in Sept this year). I am aware the test has changed since DS1 took it, as his was the last year to sit the old style test - and wondering if anyone else has experience of DIY'ing through both test types? Should I just be doing general study support activities with DS2, or are there more specific things I should be focusing on. Obvs., with DS1, VR was a major component to practise - but assuming it's not such a big deal anymore?

Any thoughts/advice etc. would be much appreciated!
If you go on the CSSE site you will be able to see a familiarisation paper, basically there's only a few VR questions as part of the English paper and a few NVR as part of the maths paper, so you don't need to concentrate too much on NVR or VR. 15 marks are for two pieces of writing so look at that. Also read, read, read and read to increase vocabulary etc. They say that the papers are equivalent to level 5 but I'd try to get your DS to the top of a level 5 as imo the papers are higher than level 5.
fausto

Post by fausto »

My DS1 sat the old test and started at CRGS in Sept 2014, we DIY'd, DS2 is taking the new exam in September.

Agree with what pinkrabbit38 says about reading and vocab. We started on a word list about a year ago, its two full sides of A4 now and we add 4 new words every week and randomly test 3 times a week for 10 mins or so. It is getting the idea of words such as mode, median, mean as well as what you would consider typical English vocab.

Make sure your child is totally confident with their timestables use timestable squares and challenge them to beat their time. Once they know them in order mix the colums and rows up for a new challenge.

VR - you will need to cover all the 21 types but there is no need for it to be done to such speed as was the case in the previous exam. NVR, once again they will need to cover it but this doesn't need to be a major focus. 10 minute tests at the right age level a couple of a week would be a good place to start once they know how to do the types.

As for the writing, look at the test paper you can buy from the CSSE and model your diy'ing around that.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Thanks pinkrabbit38 and fausto, that's really helpful. I've taken a look at the CSSE site, and had a look at the sample papers - so will print them off as a starter just to try and get some idea of where he is at the moment. It's hard to assess his level, as his school are no longer using the old NC levels - just a 'working towards the expected range', 'working within the expected range', 'working beyond the expected range' type thing. Fine if you just want to know that your child is doing ok - not so great if you are aiming for 11-plus! With DS1 it was much easier, as we could at least use the old NC levels as a starting point.

Fortunately DS2 loves reading, so has an ever expanding vocabulary - he also has a book to write new words and their meanings in (though I admit this is done quite sporadically!) - but I will definitely brush up on the maths language with him too, thanks for the hint there. He does pretty much know his times tables but, again, something we need to work more on . . .

The writing element doesn't look too bad actually, providing the style of writing they're after doesn't change too much year by year? DS2 has really struggled with some aspects of writing at school, more from a confidence perspective than anything else - but I think, with practise, he will soon master the style of writing they're after in the test (need to work on SPAG though!)

Thanks again for your help, and good luck to both of you are your DCs!
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

This is so useful. Ironically, I felt like a tower of knowledge back in 2012 when DS sat the exam. Now i feel completely out of the loop. The points above are so useful. In terms of resources/materials, which are the best to focus on? I don't even know what a CEM paper looks like and i'm not sure of which NVR books to use for the new format of the CSSE exam.

creative writing - what to do?

As Abraham has said, it's so hard to judge without the levels - what a pain!

Please keep posting anything that's useful for we second-timers who have been out of touch for a while.

i will of course share anything i find.
sonu17

Post by sonu17 »

If anyone has done S6 Tutoring course (mock exam 10 week sessions) in recent years, can they please comment on how reflective their tests & scores were as compared to final CSSE test and their child's scores. Or else any feedback on S6 tutoring via pm would be appreciated. Thanks.
ocobrown

Post by ocobrown »

sonu17 wrote:If anyone has done S6 Tutoring course (mock exam 10 week sessions) in recent years, can they please comment on how reflective their tests & scores were as compared to final CSSE test and their child's scores. Or else any feedback on S6 tutoring via pm would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have sent you a pm
abraham

Post by abraham »

seriousmum wrote:This is so useful. Ironically, I felt like a tower of knowledge back in 2012 when DS sat the exam. Now i feel completely out of the loop. The points above are so useful. In terms of resources/materials, which are the best to focus on? I don't even know what a CEM paper looks like and i'm not sure of which NVR books to use for the new format of the CSSE exam.

creative writing - what to do?

As Abraham has said, it's so hard to judge without the levels - what a pain!

Please keep posting anything that's useful for we second-timers who have been out of touch for a while.

i will of course share anything i find.
Hi seriousmum,

I am just about to stock up on new resources, so will let you know if I find anything good . . .

As far as the creative writing goes, I am planning on sticking with 'Free Range Writing' (in our case, 10 mins per day) - as this approach worked really well for DS2 last year in Yr 4, when he experienced somewhat of a mental block as far as writing was concerned. This can be really good for conditioning the brain to 'just write' when it needs to, though is obviously more of a general help as far as creative writing goes - as opposed to 11-plus specific (it does work particularly well for children with a perfectionist streak, who struggle to knuckle down and get started, IMHO though - if you can get them to persevere with it!) The idea is that they just write for 10 mins (or any pre-agreed time limit) on whatever on earth they want to - story, poem, rhyme, memoir/diary, report, persuasive argument - absolutely anything goes! Day dreaming (so long as it's about the writing) is allowed in the time - and you have to be totally uncritical about what they write! You will be amazed at what they can achieve in just 10 minutes when they have complete free reign - and so will they! We keep a special notebook just for this purpose.

I realise this in itself will not be enough for the 11-plus though, so I am also planning on setting DS2 exercises similar to those found in the CSSE sample papers - descriptive writing on a set theme, as well as a set of practical instructions, it mostly looks like to me? So going to try and familiarise/prepare him with exercises like 'Describe a character in your favourite book', 'Provide instructions on how to make a jam sandwich' etc. etc.

As far as the SPAG side of it goes, DS1 went to a really good tutor (now retired, sadly :( ) who used to use the 'SATS Buster' workbooks with him quite effectively, so I'm definitely going to buy in some of those.

Will let you know if I find anything else - please do share also :) DS1 did really well, but this is my first time DIY'ing so I feel like I'm on a major learning curve!!
Dotty12345

Post by Dotty12345 »

Hi

I was new to 11+ last year so cannot comment on tutoring for the old exam, however we DIY'd for the new exam with absolutely no knowledge what so ever - and I must say this forum was brilliant. We used all the old papers as practice as the reading and maths is relevant. We focused on reading and writing and as said before made sure she was up to speed with her timestable. The work she did at school really helped her and she was working at a level 5. (I know that has changed this year) but to give you a comparison working at the required standard equates to a level 4b. So anything above that you are moving in to 4a and above.

My DD was successful and is starting at ColCHS tomorrow.

Good luck.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Oh dear, just gave DS the Captain Correlli paper. Probably was a mistake, for both his confidence and my sanity! :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now