Number of Applicants in KE Test 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bob1892

Number of Applicants in KE Test 2015

Post by Bob1892 »

I heard from someone who had spoken to the FO that the number of applicants had risen this year albeit very slightly. Last year I think he was told it was around 5200- this year there will be around 2% increase so around 5300. Not sure how much of an effect it will have on cut off scores? This is probably in line with the rise in birth rates - maybe someone can verify thIs?
um

Re: Number of Applicants in KE Test 2015

Post by um »

Now that the consortia have joined together (Bham and Warks) it is going to be rather tricky to work out what the increase in applicants really means. In previous years, many will have applied for both exams, although some would have applied for only Warks or only Bham.

What is clear though is that the birth rate did increase across the city and West Midlands. The biggest jump (baby boom) was in 2006/7 according to the Bham statistics I have seen. That includes many children in the year group starting Year 4 soon (and my own dc4 :? ).

The birth rate and net migration into Birmingham has continued to grow but not by as great a jump seen in 2006/7 (which if anyone can remember, were good years economically).
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Incidentally the reason this dp rang the FO was- without trying to get too controversial- reporting fairly widespread abuse of the PP. He apparently has hard evidence to prove it. I've asked around,mainly with tutors , and it seems that it does go on. I think we're on about the fraudulent cases and NOT the genuine PP ones who are genuinely disadvantaged and were the ones the FO were targeting to help them gain a GS.
I remember members of this forum have mentioned previously that pp may lead to abuse. In fact there are methods found on a couple of websites which explain how you can get pp-a loophole apparently.
The FO are going to investigate.
Remember we're not talking about genuine PP cases.
Anyone else heard of this going on?
It puts a lot of genuine PP dc and non-PP dc at a disadvantage if it is happening.
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

I have certainly heard of this. My son who has just started at KEFW is friends with a boy who is PP who is from a very comfortable middle class background. They both attended the same primary school and they both had the same tutor.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

We should be very careful before we rush to judgement.Financial circumstances can change and the fact this family have a comfortable home and paid for a tutor doesn't mean that their child isn't entitled to free school meals in the following circumstances;
https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and is therefore a pp child.

In any event I thought schools were working hard to prevent discrimination so that others didn't know who were getting free school meals.

Entitlement to pupil premium is checked every year.If anyone is claiming any of the entitlements which allow free school meals on a false basis they will be committing criminal offences which can be investigated by the Benefits Agency or Revenue and Customs.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

PP is 'ever 6', meaning that any child who has been FSM in the past 6 years qualifies for PP. Family circumstances can change vastly (for good or bad) in 6 years ...

JD
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

In effect, a child who received FSM for 2 weeks in Yr 1 could benefit from the new PP system in place at the school.
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

It is also very simple to legally qualify for FSM is you work for yourself even if it is morally questionable, this is what people are objecting to I believe.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

No matter what it is, there are always people out there willing to play the system.

At FW the PP has a minimal effect for non PP. Intake was 150, which was increased to 180 last year, with 36 PP places, so reducing the intake for non PP to 144, so a loss of 6 places.

I'm not sure if the PP figures are changing this year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now