Help with 11 plus prep for westclif

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ayesha11

Help with 11 plus prep for westclif

Post by ayesha11 »

Hello all,

My son has just started year 5 and I am starting to think about doing some extra work for the 11 plus exam . Just confused about the format when I read the info on line. Do we need to spend a lot of time on verbal and non verbal will it be part of the maths and English exams.

Many thanks
Ayesha
ToadMum

Re: Help with 11 plus prep for westclif

Post by ToadMum »

There is advice and some familiarisation papers on the CSSE website:

http://www.csse.org.uk/index.php?option ... iew=mycomp

You can also order copies of actual papers for recent years' entry.

One thing I would personally suggest is that you remember that the 'R' in VR' and 'NVR' stands for reasoning, 'working it out', so as well as making sure your DS has a good founding in the basics of maths and English (e.g. If your spelling is poor, you may a bit hampered when it comes to recognising a word, let alone an antonym / synonym for it), encourage him to solve the unfamiliar by applying what he already knows to the problem, rather than trying to train him (or have him tutored) to expect to be able to recognise everything straight off, if you see what I mean.

Just my personal view, of course, although someone else on the forum once used the show-jumping analogy that you need to make your child into a 'bomb-proof little pony' :lol: and our own DC would agree, that what teachers expect of children who have made it into grammar school is the ability to 'think on one's feet' - to assimilate information quickly, not need to have everything explained over and over again, or flounder at being presented with the unfamiliar.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ayesha11

Re: Help with 11 plus prep for westclif

Post by ayesha11 »

Thank you so much

really useful
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now