B/Ham Sept 2015 11+ Maladministration

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scgsdad

B/Ham Sept 2015 11+ Maladministration

Post by scgsdad »

Children who sat the 11+ Birmingham Consortium Examination on 12/9/15 in room 110 at Lighthall School, Solihull were told by the invigilator NOT TO MARK THE QUESTION PAPER.

This serious maladministration invigilation breach resulted in children being told NOT TO PUT PENCIL TO QUESTION PAPER and that they should complete the examination without marking the question paper. Immediately two children including DS raised the hand to point out this ws incorrect and one asked "are we not allowed to do working outs in the answer booklets". The invigilator again reiterated to the children NO PENCIL TO PAPER ON THE QUESTION BOOKLET.

11+ CEM examinations in Birmingham and Warwickshire do not provide rough pages for workings, you are allowed to do working outs in the QUESTION BOOKLET and this year for the first time there was a SEPARATE answer sheet for the multiple choice question paper.

These children were NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANY WORKING OUT or elimination of multiple choice questions in the QUESTION BOOKLET, underline key words in a comprehension, eliminate answers in the NVR and were unable to do any of the Maths working outs due to the unfortunate maladministration of this 11+ examination. They relied on innate mental skills and clearly were hugely hampered.

Even after the tape had said do your working out in question booklet, the invigilator again reiterated to the children NO PENCIL TO PAPER ON THE QUESTION BOOKLET.

We are all in a state of shock because we do have other children who have successfully passed the 11+ in Birmingham and this has never previously happened because they never had a SEPARATE answer sheet and it previously was just one booklet.

The invigilator had not given the correct instructions as detailed on the tape or the familiarisation booklet. Even with these children pointing this materially important examination invigilation error out they were told twice that they could not put pencil to paper on the QUESTION PAPER. This inconsistency in the invigilation of the exam has created a huge disadvantage for these children and should be easy to prove because the question papers will not be marked.

DS is much brighter than the older siblings who passed their 11 plus but I have had to make an official complaint to the Foundation Office requesting an investigation and checking of QUESTION BOOKLETS. There were only 11 kids, but clearly if they all have clear QUESTION BOOKLETS with no working outs or pencil marks the kids are factually accurate and this will put them at a grave and serious disadvantage.

On the advice of Ken an administrator on the Forum, I am posting this to request serious expert advice with this situation. DS worked so incredibly hard, we have been so distraught and DS did not know any of the children. I posted for a call to find the other parents in the room.

This is an extremely serious breach of invigilation instructions that materially disadvantaged those 11 children.

Many Thanks in advance for any professional advice. I will be contacting with the Foundation Office on Monday further to my email and will update here accordingly.
hermanmunster

Re: B/Ham Sept 2015 11+ Maladministration

Post by hermanmunster »

This is being discussed here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=43579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It would be preferable to keep all the discussion in one place.