Help with type L

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Help with type L

Post by Guest »

Hi

I am trying to work out the type L questions with my child. Some of them seem straightforward, but some take such a long time to work out, we run out of time and it is frustrating. I looked at the Tutors verbal reasoning method course link, but I am not able to understand the first example:
DR ER FP GP
The answer given is HQ, but we got the answer as HN
I am now completely confused.
Any help and method to crack this type of questions would be much appreciated.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

You are quite correct, there is an error on the free download, I will inform Mike Edwards [The Tutors] and Lee [website owner]

These are relatively easy questions, which children should always score 100% marks, all the information is there to gain the mark.

I think Mike has explained the type quite well. THe main point to remember is NOT to treat as pairs.

1st to 1st to1st of each pair

2nd to 2nd to2nd of each pair

I do NOT believe in the 30 seconds per question method, some types could take 5/10 seconds to answer [finding a letter that goes for all 4 words, type A] while others like this question could take up to 40 seconds...

You and your child will eventually find out how long each type of question takes. They have to say to themselves 'I know this type takes longer, so I will not panic, as I know I will gain the time back with some less time consuming types of questions'

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi Patricia

Thanks very much for your clarification. I have kind of worked out the method, I think more practice and we will get the speed.
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Hello Patricia & Guest,

I'm currently going through the IPS verbal reasoning & technique book with my son and have just downloaded the Tutors method & technique course to do next.

One thing that I've been telling my son is that you can't predict a sequence from just 2 values, which is essentially what you have with the 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd of R,R,P,P. If I'm right then this should help him rule out the possibility of 2 sequences mixed together when only 5 values are provided.

Am I wrong to tell him this? Have you ever seen an example from NFER where you have to predict the next in a sequence when only 2 values are provided?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi cyberbird

The Tutors verbal reasoning CDs and the free method & technique course are based on examples provided by NFER in their familiarization and preparation papers.

The question you are referring to is the

DR ER FP GP (??) example question in The Tutors course
where there are five answer options

A GM
B GN
C HN
D HO
E IO

We suggest that the student looks at the first letter sequence

D E F G, giving the next letter as H.

The student can then discount answer options A, B and E.

The choices now are

C HN
or
D HO

The second sequence is R R P P

Which is, the same, -2, the same

The next reasonable step would be to -2 giving N

as HN is given as answer then that is the one to choose

Where such an example does occur the student needs to be told to follow the easiest option first.

Rgards

Mike

NB there is an error on the example that needs correcting
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice.

I'll pass on the info. to my son. It's a shame because I must admit I was telling him that all sequences less than 6 couldn't be mixed sequences.

Now we have the situation where theoretically a sequence of 4 could be 2 sequences of 2.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Cyberbird

I have had a look at the NFER familiarization papers, the example referred to above is similar to the question that is used to introduce the type L questions in papers 11A and 11B. However, the example does not then re-occur in the question sets.

Regards

Mike
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Mike

I too am tutoring my daughter and as advised have bought all the books recommended by Patricia and you. We have just finished the Method and Technique book which is really helpful but have found that a couple of the questions 'answers' in the book are wrong.

I can't remember which ones(can confirm later) but I know one was a 'Z' question relating to some childrens births/ages and my daughter found the answer to be '22' which wasn't on the answer sheet. Both my husband and I agreed with her answer but the IPS answer sheet said it was '14'. Is it possible that there could be errors in the books?

Also can you confirm when using the alphabet to work out some questions by moving forward or back is there a point when the child should move forward rather then back

eg

z-g should she move forward 7 letters or back 19.
I was pretty sure if back means going past the M you move forward but would that always get you the correct answer??

Mel
Rumbled

Post by Rumbled »

Hi Mel,

I came across that type z error you mention and had it confirmed as an error:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3828
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Hi Mel,

I too spotted the error in the IPS technique book. This is question 38 in practice paper B.

If you change the question so that Isabella is 4 then IPS's answer is correct (should you want to do the test again in 6 months time).