Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
willowsticks

Any DC starting IB in September 20 15?

Post by willowsticks »

I would like gauge interest for new IB starters in September 20 15
neurotic kent mum

Re: Any DC starting IB in September 20 15?

Post by neurotic kent mum »

We are - have been through it once before! Choosing the subjects to study has been interesting - changed so very many times. Hopefully the final selection has been made now!
willowsticks

Post by willowsticks »

Hi neurotic kent mum, thanks for your response. what was your experience like? What were the best IB Tips, Resources, Blogs, or Websites you (your DC) found most useful for the IB please?
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

Hallo Willowsticks. DS is about to go into his second year of the IB (ie year 13). Can I assume from your location that you are talking about the IB at DGS? If so, the school are great at providing advice.
willowsticks

Post by willowsticks »

Jiffreturns wrote:Hallo Willowsticks. DS is about to go into his second year of the IB (ie year 13). Can I assume from your location that you are talking about the IB at DGS? If so, the school are great at providing advice.

Correct. It's just that there is so little info available.
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

I know what you mean. I think the Headmaster gave the best advice that DCs need to put in the effort all through the two years. It is hard work but I think it has been great in giving a real breadth and depth of education and is a much better preparation for later life including university (my two older DSs did A'levels). The school gives the students plenty of advice and are good at keeping parents informed of progress, deadlines, etc.

If there is anything specific you would like to know that you think I may be able to help with, please feel free to PM me.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son has just started IB, as we have just moved abroad. He had completed year 12 in the UK, and was unfortunately unable to continue with the a level programme here.
Having got an a* in the a level maths as he was doing maths and further maths he should have hit the ground running, but he is finding it tough!
I was just searching the web for some resources to help him, when I wondered if the good old 11+ website might be able to help. I think he struggles a bit understanding the teacher which might not help, she is teaching in English but seems very different to what he has been used to.
Does anyone know any good websites or books that might help?
Thanks and sorry for hijacking.
willowsticks

Post by willowsticks »

Looking for help wrote:My son has just started IB, as we have just moved abroad. He had completed year 12 in the UK, and was unfortunately unable to continue with the a level programme here.
Having got an a* in the a level maths as he was doing maths and further maths he should have hit the ground running, but he is finding it tough!
I was just searching the web for some resources to help him, when I wondered if the good old 11+ website might be able to help. I think he struggles a bit understanding the teacher which might not help, she is teaching in English but seems very different to what he has been used to.
Does anyone know any good websites or books that might help?
Thanks and sorry for hijacking.
Your post prompted me to do some investigation and this was what I found http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revi ... module.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . My DS has used it before, hope it helps
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Apologies for going OT, but had to say hello LFH.

Other than the tricky start to the I B hope all is going well with the move. Teachers at International Schools can vary greatly depending on the country where they trained. In our experience even some of the British ones were a little alternative in their methods :roll:

Also I was told that the higher level maths at IB can be difficult and many students had to swap to the lower level in our DS's school. So it is probably not just your DS having problems although I am sure he will be fine once he his settled. It has been a big upheaval for you all. :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi Tolstoy,
Thank you :D , nice to hear from you.
I'm glad it is not just my son. Yes it's been a manic few months, but we are (slowly) settling in. I think you are right, this maths teacher is alternative to say the least - it's not quite what he is used to. Also not sure that they are being slightly derailed by the American college exams that some in the class are also doing. I haven't a clue about these things and feel like a duck out of water a bit. The rest of the programme is going well so far...
Apologies for going OT,
Thanks Tolstoy, hope all is well with you x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now