Common Entrance Exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marmite

Common Entrance Exam

Post by Marmite »

Anybody there who's child sit for CE this Monday/Tuesday? My daughter did at her prep school with couple of her friends.
She seemed comfident afterwards on both days, so fingers crossed.

One question in Math was apparently to circle for "which is correct for -1" and three choices were "Cube number, Square number, Prime number".

I didn't teach her negative multiplcation so she didn't have a clue, but avoided Prime number (since she knows +1 is not) and ciecled Square number - which was wrong, lost 1mark.

I understand CE is out of curricurum etc but I don't think this kind of question does not reflect the child's ability. How can you judge wheter the child had a knowledge of negative multiple or just picked right one as luck?? I would love to hear your opinion.

Anyway it's done, thank goodness - though she is sitting for academic scholarship paper today...

Thank you so much for this wonderful forum, I learnt so much about everything here!

Marmite
asha

Post by asha »

Dear marmite,

I heard some of the Boarding schools' results are out. Hope your daughter got in. Best of luck for the results!
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Dear Asha

Yes we had the result - we were out when post arrived but my husband sent me a text 'BIG envelope came'.

My DD is over the moon since her dream come true!

Though there is still music scholarship audition to come... any reduction of fee would be very welcome as you can imagine.

Thank you for your posting and I hope you have/had the result you and your DD/DS wanted.

Kind Regards
asha

Post by asha »

Congrats, Marmite to DD and you! Was this for Wycombe Abbey?
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Yes it is - we are too far to commute to top London independent schools and anyway this was the only one school she fell in love with, amongst many we had visited!

Best Wishes,
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now