SW Herts 11+ Music Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jal

SW Herts 11+ Music Tests

Post by Jal »

Dear parents.

Please can you throw some light on the topic of music tests - stage 2.
If a child does get selected to stage 2 , please can you let us know how long a music peice should be? Can the child play three short peices within the given time (3 mins?) or should one peice be three minutes long ?

Grateful for your feedback.
Daogroupie

Re: SW Herts 11+ Music Tests

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dd's did this audition. It is much less flexible than DAO unfortunately. At DAO you get five minutes and you can do what you like. My dd played two instruments and also sang.

However at SW Herts you can only play one instrument and one piece and you are also not allowed to bring your own accompanist as you are at DAO.

We chose pieces that used as much of the three minutes as possible and ones that we had carefully researched. We arrived early so as not to be stressed and to get as much time as possible in the preparation rooms and with the accompanist.

The staff were lovely and the accompanist was very interested in the pieces and the whole thing was a great experience.

Please pm for more details. DG
Miro

Post by Miro »

Any preferable instruments for this exam?
Are schools interested in instruments that are not usually played in their orchestras?

Also please do you know if they add the two rounds in the total score or just base their mark on the performance round?

Thanks!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

No. the Bentley test is just used to get the numbers down as there are too many to audition.

The decision is made on the performance. All the schools are looking for players for their Orchestras. Both my dds play less popular instruments and with my younger dd in particular all the examiners wanted to have her in their list! DG
Miro

Post by Miro »

Thanks Daogroupie.

At one of the schools, I have been told that their orchestra is for certain instruments & my DC, who is very musical, won't be able to take part if there.

Maybe we should start violin now!
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

http://www.swhertsschools.org.uk/test-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Relevant passage my highlights

A limited number of applicants will be invited back to perform a single piece on their chosen instrument or vocally. This will be a free choice of piece, which should last no longer than three minutes. As there is a free choice of instrument and piece, it will give candidates of all abilities and all cultures equal opportunity to succeed.

Those applicants invited back will be given an individual appointment during the school day, on or after Monday 28th September.

Copyright SW Herts Schools Consortium
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Miro wrote:Thanks Daogroupie.

At one of the schools, I have been told that their orchestra is for certain instruments & my DC, who is very musical, won't be able to take part if there.

Maybe we should start violin now!
My DS and DD both got in on music and both played piano for the audition, not a renowned orchestra instrument. My DD did join the orchestra with her second instrument a clarinet and has just started A level music. My DS did not join the orchestra as his second instrument was guitar, equally unsuited but he does sing in the choir.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

They don't always let them perform for the whole 3 minutes. They stopped DS2 after about a minute and a half.

They usually ask questions at the end. DS2 (who sang) was asked what instruments he played, if he had done any exams and what ensembles or groups he participated in.

He said that the examiners were smiley and kind.
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

My DD unfortunately had a terrible audition - she did well but the experience was traumatic - she plays an orchestral instrument.

Students of mine, however, have had for the most part really good auditions - I think DD was unlucky! So far, all my students who have reached the audition stage have got a place at their preferred consortium school. I teach suzuki method so most of my students haven't taken traditional exams and this doesn't disadvantage them in auditions. A confident, accurate and expressive audition even on a non orchestral instrument (most of my students are non orchestral) will get them a good score.
Dotty2468

Post by Dotty2468 »

Does anyone know when we can expect to get the results from the 1st round of the music test (sat at parmiters) also is it posted or emailed?

Thanks!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now