Spaces in year 7 at RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsChubbs

Spaces in year 7 at RGS

Post by MrsChubbs »

News from RGS Head. A number of year 7 students who live a long way from RGS have already left the school this term to attend schools near their homes. Vacancies therefore for in year transfer tests this year. Hopefully this will encourage future parents to really consider the stresses of a long journey on young children.
scary mum

Re: Spaces in year 7 at RGS

Post by scary mum »

Such a shame when you think of the local children who didn't get places. I'm sure its the same at all the grammars. It's also not fair on those children having to change school so quickly. Why, oh why don't people consider the journey BEFORE they take the test & apply. But, no, this year will be exactly the same come March when families from Wembley, Harrow, Ruislip etc ask for help in finding transport to High Wycombe or Burnham because they haven't visited the school or considered the journey, its just "grammar school or bust".
Sorry, rant over :lol:
scary mum
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

The Head's newsletter asked current parents to spread the word to "local families in the area, who may have narrowly missed the qualifying score and who performed well in their key stage two tests". Word spread. :wink:
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

My understanding is you can usually only do an in year transfer test if you didn't sit the original 11+ (unless RGS are implementing a different policy now)

This does however give local people a hope for space if they take the 12+ and pass.

Our experience last year was that very few local pupils turned up for the 12+.

Will certainly pass on the info to the families I know that narrowly missed.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

just went to my kid's yr 7 social at john hampden and there were literally 3 people from wycombe, everyone else was ooc.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

:shock: mamabear
Blueberry, the tests are managed by RGS themselves and take place in November for January entrance. Interested people should contact the admissions officer.
Last edited by MrsChubbs on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

MamaBear wrote:just went to my kid's yr 7 social at john hampden and there were literally 3 people from wycombe, everyone else was ooc.
Interesting, which areas are ooc?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

MamaBear wrote:just went to my kid's yr 7 social at john hampden and there were literally 3 people from wycombe, everyone else was ooc.
I think that alone suggests that spreading the word about the upcoming tests at RGS is worthwhile.

I can't find any of the exact wording that I'm hunting for, but an 11+ qualification used to expire 12 months from the date of testing, and therefore a non-qualification must do the same.

There was a rider somewhere to the effect that a child couldn't be tested again for the same school year, but I can't recall the detail. I'm not even sure that it is specified anywhere these days because the conversion to academies has moved the goalposts so much.

Anyway, RGS has gone this route before, and if it means that a couple of local kids get a second bite of the cherry and are able to meet the qualifying standard, I don't think that anyone would consider it to be unreasonable.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Newbie121 wrote:Interesting, which areas are ooc?
A large area of Berks is OOC but also catchment for JHG - see the catchment area map here:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/2504383 ... t_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, as JHG has a high population density surrounding the school, one would expect there to be a significant percentage of pupils from the immediate area on the roll.
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

Thank you Sally-Anne.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now