Rugby Union World Cup 2015

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Rugby Union World Cup 2015

Post by quasimodo »

The tournament gets off with England v Fiji from Twickenham this evening.Come on England! There should be some exciting games.I was listening to the discussion on BBC 5 live this morning and one of the panellists was saying he was saying he was hoping it would encourage more ethnic minorities to come into the sport even as spectators as it has a reputation as being a public school sport,middle class and white.I have to say I didn't fit into that category in my school days but I may satisfy one of those criteria now.Only one of my nephews was any good at the sport playing for Walsall RFU at under U16 and U17 but when they asked him to go for trials with South Staffs his family got him to prioritise his academic studies over the rugby and at University he has given it up.I used to regularly watch his home games and we have been to some Leicester Tigers home games.Will be watching the games from the comfort of my armchair with some beers and a packet of crisps like one of the panellists on the Radio. :)

It will be hard for England to win the tournament.Difficult to see beyond New Zealand and South Africa.But we have home advantage and the crowd should help we have hope and expectation.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Proud_Dad

Re: Rugby Union World Cup 2015

Post by Proud_Dad »

England also look to have the toughest group which includes both Australia and Wales and only 2 teams to qualify. So important they get off to a good start tonight.

Remind me of the World Cup points rules. Do they get additional points for scoring lots of tries or losing close matches?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... ew-zealand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

It was most definitely a workingman's sport where I grew up. :) We've got tickets for one of the lesser games. Think it might be Figi v somebody.

Only ever been to one live match before and was stood in the terraces :shock:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DH has tickets for a game on Sunday.

Hopefully no important games clash with Dr Who, or DH and DD will come to blows. We only have one TV, and neither want to watch on a small screen or have to delay watching.

I suspect I know who will win...
doodles

Post by doodles »

Getting stupidly over excited here chez doodles :oops:

We are all huge fans of the game and go to lots of Quins games every season. Both DS play school and club and DS1 plays to very high standard - if England plummet (but of course they won't) he will be transferring his allegiance to NZ and I'll be sulking. Actually England's group is a bit iffy for us as DH is almost a Welshman so he supports them over and above England. I'm predicting England and Australia to go through and then who knows...... With a fair wind and a few chariots I think England could do it.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

It's kicked off...
DS sat his 11+ last week so a brilliant distraction while we are waiting for results.
Not sure if New Zealand have it in them this year if I listen to my mum back in Kiwi land but she is known to be the voice of doom! I prefer to remain optimistic and any chance to see Richie McPhoarrrr is good for me.
Always some light-hearted rivalry between me and English DH until we get to the serious end of the competition... wonder who'll still be then?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

My memories of rugby seem to mainly involve Bill Beaumount! :shock: Although I also have v fond memories of watching Jonny's famous kick with an 8 month old DS ...

However, now DS plays at school and Wasps have moved in up the road, we're def getting more into it :)

JD
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JamesDean wrote:My memories of rugby seem to mainly involve Bill Beaumount! :shock: Although I also have v fond memories of watching Jonny's famous kick with an 8 month old DS ...

However, now DS plays at school and Wasps have moved in up the road, we're def getting more into it :)

JD
Good start for England.Even though they were fortunate with the bonus point.Too many turnovers, can't do that in the next two games will need to win one of them.

My memories are similar but involve Bill Beaumont more on question of sport taking over from Gareth Edwards and as a Rugby commentator.I have watched the England games over the years.That JW kick was a special moment.

If its Wasps it puts you in the West Midlands not far from Coventry.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We were lucky enough to have tickets and a relatively smooth journey down so were able to catch the opening ceremony too. An amazing experience, a lifetime of memories created, and a win for England to boot. We will also be going to the Final - hoping for an England/New Zealand match!