Prettiest places in Cornwall

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loobylou

Prettiest places in Cornwall

Post by loobylou »

We are just about to book a week's holiday in Cornwall in October 1/2 term but aren't sure whether to book North coast, South coast or as far West as possible. There are so many pretty villages/ harbours in all the pictures and I'm sure there are great walks and tea shops everywhere but where would you recommend we stay to minimise the amount of driving once we're there but still be able to see the loveliest / most interesting places? Tia
Tinkers

Re: Prettiest places in Cornwall

Post by Tinkers »

We stayed in Fowey some years ago. Not far from St Austell, the Eden project and Heligan.
fifilarue

Post by fifilarue »

Second for Fowey. You can park at the top of the hill for £30 for the week and not have to get in the car if you don't want to (although Pokerris is worth a visit). We stayed in Lantic cottage which is close to the centre and nicely kitted out. It seemed good value compared to some properties closer to the water, without being right up at the top of the hill. The small beach is 15 mins walk and is fab for small children - a bit sandy, a bit gravelly and a bit rockpool - only facilities are an ice cream van so go equipped. Take the ferry over to Polruan and wander on the other side. Go crabbing off the pontoon and take a river tour (make sure you book the steam launch). Visit the Eden Project. Also the China Clay Mine museum. And loads more...... Lovely place! I am envious
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Bude and Widemouth were great for us: high cliff walks, beaches, small seaside shopping town with enough supermarkets and restaurants. Tintagel is a fantastic castle and village (worth having English Heritage membership for - as was Stonehenge, Wiltshire though) - some miles down the road from Bude.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks everyone. We have left it quite late to find accommodation - but we have just booked a place in Mevagissey which is quite close to Fowey. It looks gorgeous and it looks as though there are lots of great walks around. The train is super-cheap from St Austell to Penzance as well so hopefully we can go to St Michael's Mount one day. I'll go through all the suggestions to make plans for the week now! Keep any suggestions coming please :D
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Mevagissey is lovely - yummy fish and chips on the harbour side and you can catch the ferry to Fowey from there too :)

JD
modernista

Post by modernista »

http://www.treberthanbandb.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lady is abs lovely. Walking distance from Eden Project.

Readymoney Cove is great with little kids.

Polkerris is great for sunset (west facing beach) and dinner on the beach
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

From megavissey it's only a,short drive to charlestown, this is a gorgeous little port and also has the ship wreck /pirate museum. The port used to be home to two stunning tall ships, I don't know if they are still there, they are used for many films and were owned by someone as a business venture I think.

Lost gardens of heligan are just up the road too, worth watching bits of the tv show before visiting.