Open evening musings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bob1892

Open evening musings

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone else going to the Aston open evening tonight?
It's the only ke school we've not visited- probably because it's on the other side of the city for us.
Feedback on the school has been mixed over the last few years.
It'll be on our list so was wondering what posters have to say about it- good or bad :)
Bob1892

Re: Open evening musings

Post by Bob1892 »

It seems as if no one else is going :(
Looks like it's going to quiet in Aston this evening :?
z-g

Post by z-g »

We're going...my ds2 will be taking the test in 2016. Also my ds1 attends Kea( now in year 8 ) and loves it!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

z-g wrote:We're going...my ds2 will be taking the test in 2016. Also my ds1 attends Kea( now in year 8 ) and loves it!
Thanks for the post zg.
Looks like there'll be at least two of us there!
MSD

Post by MSD »

Bob,

I can join you on my way back from London if you are feeling lonely. Will be driving past Junction 6 M6 :D :D
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

MSD wrote:Bob,

I can join you on my way back from London if you are feeling lonely. Will be driving past Junction 6 M6 :D :D
Thanks for the offer MSD but I've got zg to keep me company :D
z-g

Post by z-g »

Ha ha...see you there Bob :)

Zainab
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Didn't like it one bit to be honest.

Seemed very cramped, not a particularly nice location, the high metal fences gave the impression of being in an embassy in a unfriendly foreign country, uninspiring head and not to mention the "safe corridor" from school to the station - as advised by the police - in the information pack. Moved to the bottom of our list following the visit.

However, I do know of parents on this site whose absolutely love the school.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

We had a look around on the last open day and if my DS wanted to go there I wouldn't object. I didn't like the way they discussed a safe corridor as it made the area out to be worse than what it is. The area is not that bad, not as good as Sutton Coldfield but not enough to put the fear of God into people. Gone are the days that gangs were shooting each other. I did like the fact that things like they include all the food for cooking lessons and that they raise funds for school trips. It didn't feel as "middle class" as some of the others we have been to see. Not my favourite but not my worst.
We're off to see handsworth grammar on Thursday , not sure what to think of that one.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

People have been commenting on the relatively shoddy show from KEFW, so Aston seems similar. Shouldn't tar the school with the area though. Handsworth GS Girls, were superb on their open evening.

KEFW would have been okay - but for slightly shoddy uniform and attitudes from some of the Lads. Probably boys trying to impress girls etc.

BTW - It felt girls, were like an after thought at KEFW, although the teachers were inspiring.

The teachers and the students at Handsworth Girls were both inspiring, that's the only difference, I could see between HGGS and KEFW. Interestingly Edgbaston High, came across as similar to Handsworth Girls (not the other way around).

The green bus solves the safety issues at Handsworth - I assume.

Only three weeks till a metaphorical Jim Bowen appears through the letter box and says either

- and Bully's star prize is .........or
- Look what you could have won

:lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now