University Admission tests

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

University Admission tests

Post by tiffinboys »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 10295.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Re: University Admission tests

Post by Daogroupie »

Very interesting. I thought the interview was the way they worked out which of those A grade students were actually the brightest over the ones that have received a lot of help!

I agree that reverting to exams would be a bad move especially if it was instead of interviews.

I hope they do not decide to do this. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In the full article, I think in Sunday Times, one of the admission tutors was indicating that the reason of some of State schools candidates was that they didn't come in proper gear i.e went for interviews wearing jeans, not suit or at least, proper jacket. In USA, candidates and even tutors would be in much informal dress, rather than awarding admissions on the sort of gear candidates came in.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... tests.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In the article they say that for some courses they still use interviews to select. It would therefore be interesting to know what the percentage breakdown of those students were in regards to , mature v state v private. Is it any better or is it worse than the 60% state they currently have?

60% state being a pretty appalling statistic considering they claim to have been trying to eradicate the bias. Mmmh not trying very hard then :roll:

Also in regards to what DC wear to interview. Most state school DC have to wear uniforms and know that they would be expected to wear one to an interview. I am going to hazard a guess that if they interviewed a truly outstanding student they won't let Havard get that student because of a pair of jeans.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I am going to hazard a guess that if they interviewed a truly outstanding student they won't let Havard get that student because of a pair of jeans.
No - but the student is highly likely to choose Harvard, Yale or similar anyway because he or she can come out without any debt rather than racking up more than £60k quite easily at Cambridge... :roll:

In my limited experience of DD's friends over the last year, clothing made absolutely no difference to acceptance to Oxford or Cambridge!

(Though I guess a lack of it might... :roll: )
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don't know....they might think it showed an individual train of thought.... :lol: :lol:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Tolstoy, Sixth formers don't wear uniform though some schools mandate "business" attire.

It is clear that you need to be someone they will enjoy teaching and spending three years with.

60% is still very poor as only 7% go to private schools but some of it is lack of applications.

I knew a very bright girl who just didn't feel that she would enjoy three years there so she did not apply.

A private school student I know of had a mock interview every week through the whole of the year before applying and told me the actual Cambridge interview was exactly the same as the one she had been rehearsing all that time! DG
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Some schools do still insist on sixth formers wearing uniform, my dd's for instance. A small point, but necessary to set the record straight :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DG I said was talking about schools and what DC are used to wearing and have been since primary even. Also whilst colleges of F/E don't insist on Uniform I do not know of one single school 6th form that doesn't have a Uniform or Formal wear requirement. I am sure there are some but the are the exception not the rule.

Sad that students spend a year learning interview technique and sadder if a Cambridge selectors can't spot a well rehearsed candidate a mile off. Listened to enough sermons in my life to know the difference between a well rehearsed speech and an interesting dialogue. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now