Boys Grammar Schools around Harrow to apply

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11+crazymum

Boys Grammar Schools around Harrow to apply

Post by 11+crazymum »

Hi All,

My son is now in Year 5 and we live in Harrow. I am now starting to look into grammar schools that I can consider. There seems to be very little options like QE, Slough Schools.

Could someone please share what other schools can be considered around Harrow or your experiences with the grammar schools around?

I had a look at the regions on this website but seems most of them have catchment criteria or allocations are filled within catchment.

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Ruchita
Osho

Re: Boys Grammar Schools around Harrow to apply

Post by Osho »

Hi,
Four schools in Slough and QE are not limited but enough options for your dear child. There are plenty children from Harrow going to Slough schools.
All u need to do now is to concentrate on preparing your child for CEM exams in general. If need be then get a good tutor and mind you , already the kids in year 5 are about month or two ahead of your child regarding preparations if you are still thinking what to do.
But as of now don't loose time and start with your kid the preparations, building on vocab, analytical maths. There are plenty books available from WH smiths and Waterstones to get u started on the 11plus journey, but these books are very easy compared to actual test and the competition is very tough.
Good luck to u and best to your kid.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Parmiters in Watford have three non catchment places. This year their exam was English CEM and GL Maths. I think it is very likely they will go 100% CEM next year. I would recommend you apply. Everything you do for Parmiters will help you at Slough. DG
11+crazymum

Post by 11+crazymum »

It is good to know Parmiters could be option for out of catchment applicants.

I need to start looking at the open days for these schools. I am doing Chesham, Queens and Rickmansworth this week but have little knowledge on the probability.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Queens, Rickmansworth, Parmiters, Watford Boys and Girls and Clement Danes and Bushey all use the one exam which is called SW Herts.

So if you sit SW Herts you get a mark that can be used to apply to any school you are in catchment for or who have non catchment places. Clement Danes has 20 non catchment places.

They also have non catchment music places.

DG
11+crazymum

Post by 11+crazymum »

Thanks Daogroupie!

So that would mean I can consider QE, SW Herts Consortium, Bucks Consortium and Slough Consortium ATLEAST as they all will have non catchment allocations. Most of them except QE will be CEM.

Sorry if I sound a bit silly!!!! I am trying to match up with the speed of my son's prep :lol:

Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, all of them except QE will be CEM and CEM and QE have the same type of MC Comprehension papers (QE ones are much longer) so everything you do in Comprehension will help you. DG
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

11+crazymum wrote:Thanks Daogroupie!

So that would mean I can consider QE, SW Herts Consortium, Bucks Consortium and Slough Consortium ATLEAST as they all will have non catchment allocations. Most of them except QE will be CEM.

Sorry if I sound a bit silly!!!! I am trying to match up with the speed of my son's prep :lol:

Thanks
I would suggest that you look at which of these schools your DC can realistically travel to. Consider how reliable the transport is and whether, in the winter months espcially, there is likely to be occassions when you will need to step in and help them get to school. Also consider how easy they will be able to get to after school clubs etc.

Not all of those schools have non catchment allocation. You will need to check the catchment areas for each of the schools you are interested in.

School open days in the SW Herts area are spread over the next few weeks. Bushey Meads is 24th September (SW Herts Consortium).

Be aware that the SW Herts schools are not grammar schools. Your DC will not be applying for one of 180 places but one of a handfull of places for each of the selective categories (academic, music, sport, technology).

The SW Herts schools are not full CEM. Only the VR is CEM at the moment. It is possible that they may change to full CEM next year but given the tendancy to make changes at very short notice you will also need to prepare for the existing format to be on the safe side.

I would also suggest that you take a look at the DfE performance tables for the schools you are considering. "Selective" does not always mean "best" and you may be surprised at how they compare to schools more local to where you live.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now