SET results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mum2005

SET results

Post by Mum2005 »

I hope everyone recieved the results they wanted today.
I am not familiar with the 11plus process at all.

Does anyone know if WCGS has a higher pass mark
Due to them dropping second stage?
Does each school have a different pass mark or are they pretty much the same?
Thanks in advance
filmum

Re: SET results

Post by filmum »

Yes, Wallington has higher pass mark requirement than any other Sutton grammar schools. The head teacher's letter stated this when informing the parents whose children have passed the SET including Wallington.
Sunshine7

Post by Sunshine7 »

Is this the case for Wallington girls too?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No.

Wallington boys don't have stage 2 test. They don't need a bigger pool. Sutton grammar and Wilson needs to pass more boys in stage 1 as after stage 2 test, their pool will reduce as well.
Kingston mum

Post by Kingston mum »

Is it correct to assume WCGS has over offered as many boys that have received the letter will go on to other schools like SGS, Wilson, Tiffin, QE so the letter doesn't constitute a guarantee of a place at school? After sitting the second part at SGS and Wilson will the result be more specific? Would you know for sure if your DS is in or out before the CAF deadline or you will get the same generic letter? In which case how can you decide the order on the CAF, is it really down only to personal preference?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@kingston mum
WCGS has only informed the outcome of the SET. They have not offered place in the school. So there is no over-offer. There is not likely to be another letter from WCGS before CAF.

Number of candidates passed would be more than the Places available. Of othe children who have passed the SET, many might chose other schools. Places will be given in the rank order of score. School will not tell the rank. Distance from school to home will be used as tie breaker.

You should put your preference on CAF in your order of preferences, where your DS had passed the tests or where your son had reasonable chance of getting place (eg comprehensive schools in your catchment area).
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

All the schools will pass at least 400-600 boys from the second stage. You will only know whether he has passed or not. You need to put the schools in genuine order of preference on the CAF. The schools deliberately have not given out more information in order to try and prevent parents from being influenced by the results and not putting their true order of preference on the CAF.

That said I suspect that WCGS's letter could end up misleading some parents who may feel that they have to put the school first in order to get a place. You can still put WCGS as 3rd, 4th or 5th choice, and if you do not score highly enough for your other preferred schools you will still have the same chance at WCGS as if you had put it first.
Kingston mum

Post by Kingston mum »

Thank you for explaining, as a first timer I find it slightly confusing and the letter is a bit misleading as it implies that you have to put the school on the top of the list in order to get a place. This forum is a great help and the advice is invaluable. We didn't think at WCGS as an option for us as we live in North Kingston and I thought the school is too far, so SGS was the furthest we would consider to go. Before we put WCGS on the CAF we have to make the journey on the X26 to see if is feasible....but that's another thread coming :shock:
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

If you want your child to go to WCGS above all other schools regardless of which others he may qualify for, then yes, you should put it first - but that's a big "if."
If you put WGCS second and Tiffins first, and if he qualifies for both schools, he won't get offered WCGS, he will get offered Tiffins.
If you put WGCS second and Tiffins first, and he doesn't meet the criteria for Tiffins but does reach the score required for WCGS, then his place at WCGS will still be secure and that is the offer you will get. You won't be penalised in anyway for having listed WGCS below Tiffins.

Schools don't - cannot in fact - give any priority at all as a reward for people who list them as first choice.

At this stage, nobody has an offer. Even where some schools release second stage results, nobody has an offer. Offers are made in March and until then all you have is a rough idea of how likely your child is to qualify for any particular school. In some regions they give away very big clues but confusion over this issue is one of the reasons that many schools here (including WCGS) stopped giving scores or green light letters or other thinly veiled guarantees of a place.

Too many people got frightened that they needed to list a guaranteed place first just to secure a grammar school place overall but were later disappointed to get offered WCGS for example when they realised that their son would had also qualified for Tiffins and Wilsons as well (but did not got an offer at those because of course because they'd listed WCGS first to be safe and so given up the chance of an offer at the others they'd listed lower down). It led to lots of upset, waiting list changes and anxious appeals in one particular year especially.
oberoijasleen

Post by oberoijasleen »

Going to ask a stupid question....

My order of preference is say

1. Tiffin girls
2. Nonsuch
3. Wallington girls

Now again....assuming my DD is safely cleared for all three. I would be offered Tiffin's as that was my first choice. What happen that in the course of time (between October and march) we change our mind and want Nonsuch as first choice. If on offer day I reject Tiffin's will I be offered Nonsuch (given that DD has met the eligibility) .....

Thanks
Jas
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now